Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Well, it is a payroll cut, per se: if Jacoby Jones is our new CF, we just saved 8.4 million next year. The question is does this signal additional cuts, or is the team content with coming in just below the luxury tax.

This team missed the playoffs by 1.5 games following large injury woes [[Zimm, Castellanos, JD). They were a few bad relief outings away from winning the division. I do think coaching and attitudes [[particularly re hitting and baserunning approaches) affirmatively held them back, too, but I guess were stuck with Ausmus, who was not bad, and we are getting a new [[old) batting coach. I hope they took notes about how CLE and CHI were playing the game this past month.

My point being, do not shed the veteran core, do not even move JD. With marginally better luck re injuries, a more mature [[but aggressive) coaching approach, and a continued usage of young sparkplugs [[3/5 of our rotation plus Jacoby Jones and Iglesias), you will gain 3-5 games next year.

Rotation: Verlander, Fulmer, Zimmerman, Norris, Boyd. That's a rock solid formation. Do not blow it. Get Verlander his ring.
    I agree with all of the above. I still think they could use another middle of the lineup thumper. Those too frequent power outages last season were maddening.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I agree with all of the above. I still think they could use another middle of the lineup thumper. Those too frequent power outages last season were maddening.
    Last thing we need is a "thumper". We need guys with speed, athleticism, on-base percentage and good defense. I think they will try to trade either Upton [[in the tradition of way overpaying and then dumping the guy after a year - see Prince Fielder) or JD Martinez. You can't let JD hit free agency and not get a return. If they move a couple of big contracts they may try to sign JD long-term.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Last thing we need is a "thumper". We need guys with speed, athleticism, on-base percentage and good defense. I think they will try to trade either Upton [[in the tradition of way overpaying and then dumping the guy after a year - see Prince Fielder) or JD Martinez. You can't let JD hit free agency and not get a return. If they move a couple of big contracts they may try to sign JD long-term.
    Agree with the no need for a thumper part. Tiger's ballpark, even with left field pulled in, is too big. Speed and defense need to be prioritized. In that sense I'm surprised with the talk of JD leaving. He has decent speed, a great arm and good defense, and he can thump to any field like Miggy. Except for the average defense, I'm surprise to see Maybin go. IMO he is a great 10th player.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Agree with the no need for a thumper part. Tiger's ballpark, even with left field pulled in, is too big. Speed and defense need to be prioritized. In that sense I'm surprised with the talk of JD leaving. He has decent speed, a great arm and good defense, and he can thump to any field like Miggy. Except for the average defense, I'm surprise to see Maybin go. IMO he is a great 10th player.
    Agree.

And esp. JD, he is a fan favorite. I'm kind of the mind that a team can't have too many JD's.

What's not to like about him?

I really think everyone, esp. GMs, etc., need to remember that in MLB the game is pretty 'intimate' between players and fans [[esp. when they are at bat). They sign autographs, give interviews, etc. etc. and become the face of the franchise.

This is much different than say football where players are a long ways from the stands, wear helmets, and one of 11 players on the field at one time [[for one team).

Bottom line: A JD is worth much more than his stats, saber metrics, etc. would indicate.

Same for a player like JV. He is a face of the Tigers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    JD is being discussed because he CAN be moved. If Avila really has been told to slice payroll then he is not going to add to it by handing JD a 130 million dollar contract. Kinsler is the other movable contract. Victor, Cabrera and Verlander will be much harder to move as their deals are huge and they you would be buying their declining years, so even if you moved them you would get nothing in return.

JD is being discussed because he CAN be moved. If Avila really has been told to slice payroll then he is not going to add to it by handing JD a 130 million dollar contract. Kinsler is the other movable contract. Victor, Cabrera and Verlander will be much harder to move as their deals are huge and they you would be buying their declining years, so even if you moved them you would get nothing in return.
    I hear you.

I just hope the Tigers are sensible and pare [[sp?) the payroll by say 15M and don't go crazy.

Assume that V-Mart will retire after 2017 [[and his salary will come off in 2018).

Seems like an extra thumper in the lineup wouldn't have hurt when they lost all those games to the Blue Jays last season. To me, it appeared that the lack of timely hitting was one of their major problems on and off for the entire season. I know they scored a lot of runs but they hit into a lot of double plays and left a lot of runners on. I would agree that the lack of speed had a lot to do with that.