Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I don't get why people insist on drawing a causal relationship between the socioeconomic problems of black Americans and the decline of Detroit. Black residents made up less than 20% of the city's population when the overall population went into decline. If Detroit's population today was still 1.85 million residents then today's black Detroiter population would be about 32% of the city's population.
    Are you suggesting this Detroit's single-biggest problem wasn't socioeconomic problems of black Americans?

Perhaps we have different definitions of socioeconomic problems?

Detroit's white population fell because whites left.

Perhaps you weren't around here in the 60s and 70s. Three racially-charged events changed Detroit.

1) Forced bussing of schoolchildren to achieve racial numerical parity in Detroit's schools.

2) A race-riot.

3) Election of black-nationalist Coleman A. Young as Mayor.

Don't underestimate #1. For most white families, they either moved as quickly as possible, or started saving up to get out as soon as they could afford a new house in the 'burbs. Of course some of it was Archie Bunker racism, but a lot of it was just simple concern for their kids. They didn't want their kids going to school in Detroit's inner city -- with its socioeconomic problems.

The riots scared people, but bussing was #1.

#2 was CAY, who I personally admire in many ways. With CAY's election, white residents knew they weren't much wanted. Reverse bigotry was municipally endorsed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Are you suggesting this Detroit's single-biggest problem wasn't socioeconomic problems of black Americans?

Perhaps we have different definitions of socioeconomic problems?

Detroit's white population fell because whites left.

Perhaps you weren't around here in the 60s and 70s. Three racially-charged events changed Detroit.

1) Forced bussing of schoolchildren to achieve racial numerical parity in Detroit's schools.

2) A race-riot.

3) Election of black-nationalist Coleman A. Young as Mayor.

Don't underestimate #1. For most white families, they either moved as quickly as possible, or started saving up to get out as soon as they could afford a new house in the 'burbs. Of course some of it was Archie Bunker racism, but a lot of it was just simple concern for their kids. They didn't want their kids going to school in Detroit's inner city -- with its socioeconomic problems.

The riots scared people, but bussing was #1.

#2 was CAY, who I personally admire in many ways. With CAY's election, white residents knew they weren't much wanted. Reverse bigotry was municipally endorsed.
    How exactly does a black-nationalist mayor get elected in a majority white city?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    How exactly does a black-nationalist mayor get elected in a majority white city?
    I don't recall the racial stats of 1974, but if I remember correctly, the election was very close -- with CAY coming out on top. Nichols [[his opponent, again if I recall correctly) was a law & order candidate [[former/current sheriff, IIRC). I trust Nichols was affiliated with the Republicans. I would guess that the white Democrats and the vast majority of the black residents voted for CAY. Kinda like they are voting for Hillary today -- her gender matters more than her substance [[which is quite squishy).