Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default City Seeks RFPs for Residential Development on Wigle Playfield.

Curbed reported that the City of Detroit is seeking proposals for residential development on Wigle Playfield in Midtown [[Selden and Third Avenues). My question is, "Why take away the only sizable playfield in all of Midtown [[west of Woodward) for residential development when there are dozens of vacant lots and/or surface parking lots in the area?" Although Wigle Playfield was underutilized as an athletic field overall [[despite the fact that skate boarders had set up shop behind the demolished rec center), the influx of new residents from areas surrounding the playfield would definitely cause an increase in interest for such activities as softball, football, basketball, skate boarding, and other outdoor events.

I think it's very short-sighted for the City of Detroit to give up a playfield for private development, especially when there are no public recreational areas in Midtown the size of Wigle Playfield. Great neighborhoods have great parks and playfields. Wigle Playfield, remodeled as a park/playfield, not residential, could be a great asset to Midtown.
    Last edited by royce; September-28-16 at 02:22 AM.

The community pool in the Wigle Playfield is long gone. So his the rest of the hood. Gave in to Young professionals and developers near Wayne State University hunger to make Cass Corridor their Little Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Curbed reported that the City of Detroit is seeking proposals for residential development on Wigle Playfield in Midtown [[Selden and Third Avenues). My question is, "Why take away the only sizable playfield in all of Midtown [[west of Woodward) for residential development when there are dozens of vacant lots and/or surface parking lots in the area?" Although Wigle Playfield was underutilized as an athletic field overall [[despite the fact that skate boarders had set up shop behind the demolished rec center), the influx of new residents from areas surrounding the playfield would definitely cause an increase in interest for such activities as softball, football, basketball, skate boarding, and other outdoor events.

I think it's very short-sighted for the City of Detroit to give up a playfield for private development, especially when there are no public recreational areas in Midtown the size of Wigle Playfield. Great neighborhoods have great parks and playfields. Wigle Playfield, remodeled as a park/playfield, not residential, could be a great asset to Midtown.
    I totally agree. One significant quality of life factor is good parks and recreational facilities. Recreation/sports activities are a huge part of the many people's lives. IMO, a renovated playfield with a new recreation center w/pool would be a great asset and quality of life booster to Midtown. It has so many things going for it right now, this could just add to the mix. A place like Wigle Playfield is a staple of attractive, thriving communities. Condos can be built on so many other lots

Midtown does have one other playfield, Tolan Field, at I-75 and Mack, but that is on the opposite end of the Midtown area. And it doesn't have a recreation center and community pool. IMHO Midtown could use more greenspace.

What do midtown residents think? That's what really matters.
    Last edited by masterblaster; September-28-16 at 07:24 AM. Reason: word change

Why? I can think of 1.8 million reasons, which also happens to be the city's minimum bid price. Any development must keep at least one acre of land open to the public. You get an idea about the type of development they're looking for by looking at the site context section. I like do they want reintegrate it with the street grid.

Wigle rfp: http://www.detroitmi.gov/Portals/0/d...-14-172420-687

I have to admit that after hearing about this the first thing that popped in my head was why now? After all, the property is finally appreciating in value and should only continue to do so after the Qline is up and running. Then I looked at the option designs in the RFP and they are pretty exciting. Build it, build right and build fast.