Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
UDM has 3 campuses already [[Mcnichols, Dental on MLK Blvd, & Law Downtown) They only shed the Outer Dr campus [[former Mercy College) in the last decade. They are focusing efforts on expanding in place. Throw some senior/low income apartments in the old AMC Admin bldg and demo the rest. redevelop into mixed use with light industry. its plenty close to 96 and the old rail line running on the eastern edge could be converted to non-motorized trail. if its no longer used as freight rail.
I only threw it out for collegiate usage. Could WCCC consolidate there?

I like the idea of renovating into senior housing OR how about a city run homeless shelter?

I realize it would cost a lot of money to renovate, but housing the homeless costs money it is a better to get a building with 'good bones' for next to nothing and renovate into something like a YMCA-like structure with small rooms, baths, etc.

Letting the homeless sleep on the streets isn't good public policy.

Or get with VA and convert into a residential center for homeless vets.

I AGREE with the lead poster that tearing down a structurally sound building just because it isn't in a bustling neighborhood is not wise.

If one can't make a commercial case for the building, there are plenty of human service needs to be filled. Detroit isn't rich, but it is past bankruptcy.