Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Starbucks is on the opposite corner and Great Lakes Coffee 3 short blocks north.
    Anyone know how DD and Starbucks compete when in close proximity?

My GUESS is that they are different markets just like Whole Foods and say Krogers aim at different consumers.

I drink DD coffee but never drink Starbucks coffee.

Many consumers wouldn't get caught drinking Dunkin Donuts coffee...

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Hopefully some DD outlets will finally begin to show up again in the city proper.
    There is already a DD outlet in the city proper.

Maybe you mean in the Greater Downtown area, or more DD outlets?

Its a DD on Gratiot and 8-mile. But I agree, a DD would be nice on MLK and Woodward. Great location.

Target would be a deal maker for that particular spot. I wonder if it would have a grocery section in it. I would love to see a Columbia store open in Midtown or downtown Detroit. If not Columbia then Dick's would do good on Woodward near Mack

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    OK... since I was too subtle last time...

I find it almost impossible to believe that $11 million was paid for two parcels in Midtown...
    Why? The Red Cross property is a couple of buildings plus a good amount land in a popular neighborhood. You're not getting that for a few bucks.
    Last edited by MSUguy; July-19-16 at 11:34 PM.

Regarding Columbia:

I think you mean north face . All the white well to do from suburban upbringing but now luxury renters wear north face. One can buy Columbia at kohls. That midtown demographic does not shop at kohls. Patagonia is also acceptable to this demographic

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Regarding Columbia:

I think you mean north face . All the white well to do from suburban upbringing but now luxury renters wear north face. One can buy Columbia at kohls. That midtown demographic does not shop at kohls. Patagonia is also acceptable to this demographic
    So... Moosejaw?

Starbucks is on the opposite corner and Great Lakes Coffee 3 short blocks north.
    If you read emu steve's other posts, then you, downtownguy, would understand that his focus for having a Dunkin Donuts in Midtown is really about the donuts not the coffee.Last time I checked, Starbucks and Great Lakes Coffee don't do donuts.
    Last edited by royce; July-19-16 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    If you read emu steve's other posts, then you, downtownguy, would understand that his focus for having a Dunkin Donuts in Midtown is really about the donuts not the coffee.Last time I checked, Starbucks and Great Lakes Coffee don't do donuts.
    There is Tim Hortons if it's all about the donuts [[which IMO are better than DDs).

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    Why? The Red Cross property is a couple of buildings plus a good amount land in a popular neighborhood. You're not getting that for a few bucks.
    $12 Million bought the 28 story Fisher Building/Arcade/Theatre and parking structure as well as the 10 story Albert Kahn Building and a very large parking lot.... also in a popular neighborhood.

Even though there are a couple of buildings in the midtown site... razing and land clearance is needed for the proposed plans. Those midtown buildings have no value if they are not being preserved.... just the land.

One of the great things about a DD would be easy access.

W/out looking at a map, it would have easy access from southbound Woodward and also eastbound MLKjr.

As I suggested earlier, I see DD and Starbucks as very, very different and serving very, very different clientele just like there is Buddy's Pizza and Little Caesar's pizza - very, very different serving very different clientele [[When in S.E. MI I have been known to eat at Buddys and also Little Caesars - like the lunch special).

Tim Horton's and to a lesser extent DD any day over that garbage at Starbucks. A buck for a coffee at either establishment or what, $76 for a small at Starbucks? Plus I don't know if it's just me, but if you get a regular coffee there, and not a flavored concoction, their coffee tastes like complete crap IMO.

The article from the Free Press says this in the third paragraph, "A small-format Target store could be an anchor tenant for a proposed retail, commercial, and residential development..." However, in the tenth paragraph, the article describes the development as being three stories high with ground-floor space for the Target store, 20,000 square feet of retail or restaurant space, and office space on the second and third floors. My question is, "What happen to the residential?"

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    There is already a DD outlet in the city proper.

Maybe you mean in the Greater Downtown area, or more DD outlets?
    So where are they? In the Ren Cen? Clearly they don't advertise.

I'm for more throughout the city: east, west, mid-, down-, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    So... Moosejaw?
    . Precisely!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    $12 Million bought the 28 story Fisher Building/Arcade/Theatre and parking structure as well as the 10 story Albert Kahn Building and a very large parking lot.... also in a popular neighborhood.

Even though there are a couple of buildings in the midtown site... razing and land clearance is needed for the proposed plans. Those midtown buildings have no value if they are not being preserved.... just the land.
    They have value to the Red Cross. No property owner is going take less just because the buyer doesn't want what's there. Any property owner is going to expect to get it's full value no matter what the new owner plans to do with it.
    Last edited by MSUguy; July-20-16 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    So where are they?
    As someone else already stated earlier, 8 Mile and Gratiot.

And now there's this. This is the former Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe location, 3 blocks south of Mack. But apparently still no donuts for emu steve.

New Order Coffee Roasters, a company specializing in small batch roasting, is scheduled to open in Midtown this winter. The roastery's first café will be located on the main floor of Midtown's Crystal Loft Building adjacent to the soon-to-open restaurant, Grey Ghost Detroit.

Full story in Crain's.

And now there's this. This is the former Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe location, 3 blocks south of Mack. But apparently still no donuts for emu steve.

New Order Coffee Roasters, a company specializing in small batch roasting, is scheduled to open in Midtown this winter. The roastery's first café will be located on the main floor of Midtown's Crystal Loft Building adjacent to the soon-to-open restaurant, Grey Ghost Detroit.

Full story in Crain's.

I would settle for Little Caesars pizza there [[MLKjr/Woodward). I know, donuts, pizza. OMG.

Man, IF, IF, IF there is a DD at MLKjr/Woodward would there be a cannibalization of the coffee market???

Too many such establishments too close?

EDIT:

DD MLKjr/Woodward RIP. Ain't going to happen... [[I did find the Detroit News story on the other establishment a few blocks away).

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...shop/87311360/
    Last edited by emu steve; July-21-16 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    As someone else already stated earlier, 8 Mile and Gratiot.
    There's also a Dunkin Donuts on Wayne State's campus, at Anthony Wayne [[3rd Street) and Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    They have value to the Red Cross. No property owner is going take less just because the buyer doesn't want what's there. Any property owner is going to expect to get it's full value no matter what the new owner plans to do with it.
    This shows how value [[wealth) is created with revitalization.

I have no idea what these properties were worth say 5 years ago, but the Red Cross, etc. will [[presumably) make off like bandits.

They can relocate, if they wish, and pocket the difference between what they get for these properties and the cost of the new property.

This should also be true with property owners with property west of Cass near the new arena.

In case anyone missed it, the old muffler shop has been torn down. Seems that this development is moving forward.

I saw that yesterday, and also noticed a large for lease sign on the corner that I had not noticed before, though it may have been there before and maybe I just missed it.

The latest speculation!!! Cause I know we all love it...

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...res-in-midtown

I find it exciting that urbanity is taking shape. The Whole Foods parking lot doesn't help, but I love the concepts on the corner.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast