Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

This season is getting to be the classic glass half full/half empty Rorschach test.

Tigers trade for another SP. James Shields? And a reliever? and the AL Central is wide open.

Zimmerman, a #1, JV, a #2, Shields a #3, Sanchez, a #4, Zulmer, #5 [[with a very high ceiling).

Greene and Mike P. are also available for the back end of the rotation.

I have no problems with the position players as a group.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    This season is getting to be the classic glass half full/half empty Rorschach test.

Tigers trade for another SP. James Shields? And a reliever? and the AL Central is wide open.

Zimmerman, a #1, JV, a #2, Shields a #3, Sanchez, a #4, Zulmer, #5 [[with a very high ceiling).

What your saying is the team lost looks good on paper, I agree with that. I've felt the same way since March. Don't know what that translates to, hopefully that means they can compete up until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    What your saying is the team lost looks good on paper, I agree with that. I've felt the same way since March. Don't know what that translates to, hopefully that means they can compete up until the end.
    If we can find a way to get Andrew Miller [[reliever) out of NYY and say Shields out of S.D. without giving up too much batting we could contend.

We could raid the farm system but there isn't too much there and what is there we restocked less than 12 months ago...

I know folks hate the 'we are one [[or maybe two, max) players away from contending' talk but we are.

We have a very nice bunch of position players. NO changes required there. Some, e.g., McCann, Upton, etc. need to get their stroke back but it should happen.

It is simply the pitching which needs to move from a minus to at least 'neutral'.

If we can find a way to get Andrew Miller [[reliever) out of NYY and say Shields out of S.D. without giving up too much batting we could contend.

We could raid the farm system but there isn't too much there and what is there we restocked less than 12 months ago...

I know folks hate the 'we are one [[or maybe two, max) players away from contending' talk but we are.

We have a very nice bunch of position players. NO changes required there. Some, e.g., McCann, Upton, etc. need to get their stroke back but it should happen.

It is simply the pitching which needs to move from a minus to at least 'neutral'.
    A little greedy aren't we? The Tigers payroll is already about twice anybody else in the division and you want to add 30 million more for Shields and Miller? It would be nice to win it at least somewhat honestly.

McCann never had a stroke... He's a decent catcher that can't hit consistantly. Now Upton is another story... I tend to agree with 401don, Tigers can't afford any more big salaries, unless they're able to move some, which is highly unlikely.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; May-27-16 at 01:31 PM.

This is my post from late May. I'm the born optimist [[or I wouldn't be on this board).

I'm surprised that Fulmer has continued to pitch as well as he has and Sanchez has not, but I'm surprised that the Tigers are making it with the pitching staff they have.

If we can get a little more offense from the catchers I'll be happy. When I'm in 'spin mode' I say "Don't worry about McCann. Think of each of those throw outs at 2nd as being equal in value to a hit for him." They help our pitchers.

EDIT: BTW the Tigs have played 47 home games and 57 away games. From now through August we have the bulk of our games at home and we are 'money' at home.
    Last edited by emu steve; July-31-16 at 07:00 AM.