20 May

P1. Art/Culture: Tours, France, in 1799, hugely influential & inspirational novelist [[Old Goriot) and
playwright, regarded as one of the founders of realism in European literature. Magnum Opus La
Comedie Humaine. “The more one judges, the less one loves.” Hint: Too much “heavy petting”?
A. Victor Hugo B. Gustave Flaubert C. Honore Balzac D. Emile Zola

P2. Geography: Born on Kibbutz Degania Alef, near the Sea of Galilee, Ottoman Syria, 1915, 2nd child
born on the 1st kibbutz, Moshe Dayan became his country’s Foreign Minister. “I have only one eye.
Do you want me to look at the road or at the speedometer?” What country? Hint: Don’t ask!
A. Iran B. Lebanon C. Israel D. Syria

P3. History/Politics: Born in a Quaker settlement, Guilford County, NC, in 1768, a First Lady
whose social graces boosted her husband’s popularity. She also helped furnish the newly built
White House and saved the famous Stuart portrait of Washington during the burning of
Washington in 1814. Her later years were spent in poverty. Hint: You famous somatic sell ewe!.
A. Dolly Madison B. Elizabeth Monroe C. Martha Jefferson D. Martha Jefferson Randolph

P4. Language: London, 1806, economist, feminist, liberal, extremely influential English-speaking philos-
opher of the 19th Century. Wrote On Liberty and Ultilitarianism. Hint: E.B. White mouse.
A. Joseph Priestley B. John Stuart Mill C. Thomas Hobbes D. Herbert Spencer

P5. Literature: Born in Ealing, London, in 1904, she published Blackerchief Dick, her first crimmy at age
17. In 1929, The Crime at Black Dudley introduced her gentleman sleuth Albert Campion, who lives
at 17A Bottle St., Piccadilly, wears horn-rimmed glasses, & has a pet jackdaw. Hint: Trichinosis?
A. Margery Allingham B. Sarah Caudwell C. P.D. James D. Dorothy Sayers

P6. Music/Dance: El Centro, CA, in 1946, “The Goddess of Pop”, distinctive contra-alto voice, a variety
of styles. She and hubby hit it big with I Got You Babe. Hint: Let Timmy play with your truck, hon.
A. Cher B. Tina Turner C. Madonna D. Patti Smith

P7. People: Born in North Hampston, MA, in 1706, he was a gunsmith who fought at Bunker Hill and at
Fortress Louisbourg in Nova Scotia. Hint: Clock maker enjoys Dale’s French apples.
A. William Pepperill B. William Shirley C. Seth Pomeroy D. Ephraim Williams

P8. Potluck: Sheffield, UK, 1944, gritty voiced, spasmodic singer, whose dynamite cover of With a Little
Help from My Friends was the Wonder Years theme. Hint: Slang container for malodorous waste.
A. Joe Cocker B. John Belushi C. George Benson D. David Bowie

P9. Quotations: Born in Chicago in 1919, an Emmy winning comedian with a crewcut. 1. I’ve never
been drunk, but often I’ve been overserved. 2. Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a
tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes. 3. The remarkable thing about television is that it
permits several million to laugh at the same joke and still feel lonely. Hint: Urge the beauty on!
A. George Gobel B. Joey Bishop C. Bob Cummings D. Ernie Kovacs

P10. Science/Technology: Born in Leicestershire, England, in 1663, son of a printer, he became a pioneer
printer in the colonies, starting out in Philadelphia, battling Governor Penn who tried to
censor him. In New York he printed the Gazette America’s 1st newspaper. Hint: Plimouth.
A. Benjamin Edes B. Isaiah Thomas C. James Rivington D. William Bradford

P11. Sports/Games: Born in Sokolce, Slovak Republic, in 1940, he was the Chicago Blackhawk’s center
from 1958 – 1980, 6x All-Star, 2x Lady Bing winner. Hint: Shoe pounder or banana huckster.
A. Miroslav Satan B. Stan Mikita C. Pavol Dimitra D. Phil Esposito

P12. Stage/Screen: Born in Indiana, PA, in 1908, US Air Force General, legendary actor known for his
drawl and down-to-earth persona, Oscar for The Philadelphia Story, but best remembered for Mr.
Smith Goes to Washington. AFI lists him #3 of the Golden Age Legends. Hint: Line of kings.
A. Cary Grant B. James Stewart C. Gary Copper D. Gregory Peck

P13. Extra Credit: What professional baseball player hit 868 homeruns?
A. Bobby Bonds B. Barry Bonds C. Sadaharu Oh D. Babe Ruth

Answers: 1C; 2C; 3A; 4B; 5A; 6A; 7C; 8A; 9A; 10D; 11B; 12B; 13C NO PEEKING