Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
This has been said before, but it bears repeating. We are at a point in Detroit's resurgence that we can be picky with things that are being built in Detroit. Before, our complaints were picky up until Gilbert began bringing new life into the Downtown area. New buildings and land are now becoming a premium in Downtown Detroit and just by looking at the surrounding structures in GCP, this height does not fit in which is why folks here aren't happy with the height, including myself. This height belongs more in Midtown than it does in Downtown.
We certainly can be picky, but it wouldn't be so wise. The best cities in America [[and the world, in my experience) are those who were the least planned. And some of the most interesting urban neighborhoods are those that developed organically.

Sometimes we'll get things that might not be what we want. And only later do we realize it wasn't so bad.

I didn't like the old NBD building, nor the Michcon Yamisaki building. In my youth, I disliked most modern architecture. I know now I was wrong. It would have been wrong of me to impose my ideas on others.

We would be wise to avoid micromanaging development. It will goes ways not intended -- but often with good results we would never have anticipated.