Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
1. Given that most colleges/high schools have installed turf, what do critics of this project know that athletic professionals don't know about getting maximum usage and cost controls out of field space?

2. Do critics realize that professional fields are re-sodded every few years - so the site is not in fact "the same grass and dirt" that legends played on"?

15+ years ago I was against turf, especially at historic venues, however as I've become more involved in athletic coaching and administration -- I realized that the demands of multiple sports [[and the increasing numbers of younger/girls teams) on grass simply isn't tenable.

As much as I love the Tiger Stadium/Navin Field site as well, the concept of a [[glorified) neighborhood park where people play pickup games on the "original" field isn't a realistic permanent solution. And that's what this is really about. People accusing PAL of being selfish are in fact the selfish ones. For all sorts of reasons, we need to focus on getting as many Detroit kids into as many [[physical) activities as possible...not arguing over grass versus turf.
Everything you said. Just close the thread here because it just needs to be done already.