Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I went to the Krogers at Haggerty Rd. that was once a Hiller's, some time before Christmas. I thought that they were doing their best to keep the meat department up to standard to what Hillers once used to be. Then, we went there two days ago, and now the meat department is half the size of what it was. I mentioned it to a local gal who grumpily admitted she was angry too about the change. I know, I won't let it got, but it bothers me.

That Krogers was poorly staffed with half of them who didn't want to help and they left outdated sale tags on things.

Kroger's is still the supermarket king. Stumping its competitors one by one and assimilating Hiller's Market until it becomes Kroger's. The next thing the corps tried to do is to their greedy hands on Whole Foods.

You folks remember the Kroger's employment Union Strike of 1988? Corporation wants to replace cashiers with non-unions.

Or the time when Kroger's opened their supermarket in Detroit's East Side on Gratiot Ave. and E 7 Mile Rd. Then they left two years later, because of high crime.

Oh those were the days.

I thank God for my Hollywood Mkt 1 mile away...I would never eat any meat if it wasn't there. Kroger's packaged meat looks unappetizing at best and most of the time the things I want are out of stock. I happily pay more to have the nice butchers at Hollywood get my stuff, wrap it and it's TASTY too. I now buy 100% of my groceries at Hollywood because it's convenient and CLEAN, not to mention I don't have to wait in an endless line to check out.
    Last edited by michmina; February-01-16 at 10:46 AM.

I agree! I wish I could afford Hollywood more but when I can I do like their meats. And their cheese island. I like how they will sometimes have cut down to a tiny section a specialty cheese to affordable amount! Great!

Quote Originally Posted by michmina View Post
    I thank God for my Hollywood Mkt 1 mile away...I would never eat any meat if it wasn't there. Kroger's packaged meat looks unappetizing at best and most of the time the things I want are out of stock. I happily pay more to have the nice butchers at Hollywood get my stuff, wrap it and it's TASTY too. I now buy 100% of my groceries at Hollywood because it's convenient and CLEAN, not to mention I don't have to wait in an endless line to check out.
    In my neck of the woods, I'm boxed in by Kroger. It seems to be the only store all around me except for Meijer on the hill, which is way worse, and Westborn Fruit Market, which, while good is often too pricey for me.

I have purchased the fresh, boneless, skinless chicken breasts at Kroger for the eternal price of $1.99/lb. While this price is good on paper, the chicken often is tough, stringy, and tasteless no matter how I cook it. The produce there is also lacking these days. If you're happy with apples, oranges, & bananas you're all set, but anything else, forget it. When I can afford it, I do buy my fresh produce & meat at Westborn.

We had some chicken from Krogers last night and threw most of it away. It was also tough and tasteless.

I went to the revamped Hillers/Kroger in downtown Northville and it reminded me of a Hollywood star who's face I couldn't recognize anymore. I thought they were going to fix it up and make it nice and fancy.

I was expecting a classy, charming make over. It was charming the way it was. Now, it just an expanded Krogerized store with long aisles and crummy meat.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    In my neck of the woods, I'm boxed in by Kroger. It seems to be the only store all around me except for Meijer on the hill, which is way worse, and Westborn Fruit Market, which, while good is often too pricey for me.

I have purchased the fresh, boneless, skinless chicken breasts at Kroger for the eternal price of $1.99/lb. While this price is good on paper, the chicken often is tough, stringy, and tasteless no matter how I cook it. The produce there is also lacking these days. If you're happy with apples, oranges, & bananas you're all set, but anything else, forget it. When I can afford it, I do buy my fresh produce & meat at Westborn.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    We had some chicken from Krogers last night and threw most of it away. It was also tough and tasteless.

I went to the revamped Hillers/Kroger in downtown Northville and it reminded me of a Hollywood star who's face I couldn't recognize anymore. I thought they were going to fix it up and make it nice and fancy.

I was expecting a classy, charming make over. It was charming the way it was. Now, it just an expanded Krogerized store with long aisles and crummy meat.
    Grab a rotisserie chicken from La Colmena on Bagley and 15th. I think they're the best.

On your advice HT I'm going to go over there and pick one up today!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Grab a rotisserie chicken from La Colmena on Bagley and 15th. I think they're the best.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-07-16 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post

kirkland organic chicken from costco. i never freeze it, barely have to trim it. throw it on the grill - very juicy and flavorful.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    kirkland organic chicken from costco. i never freeze it, barely have to trim it. throw it on the grill - very juicy and flavorful.
    Another good one...... Grab a tub of garlic paste from Supergreenland on Warren & Miller, or the New Yes Mam' [[Yasmeen) Bakery. The perfect rotisserie chicken dip!
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-02-16 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by michmina View Post
    I like Hollywood, but the only one I go to [[Maple Rd near Coolidge) has a produce selection that leave a bit to be desired. The produce over at Meijer is way better.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I like Hollywood, but the only one I go to [[Maple Rd near Coolidge) has a produce selection that leave a bit to be desired. The produce over at Meijer is way better.
    Yeah, I'm kind of surprised people are citing Hollywood. Yes, it's generally better than Kroger [[which isn't saying much), but produce at Hollywood is weak, meat/fish only slightly better.