Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I don't believe 102. Maybe Zumaya hit 101 but I doubt JV.
    It's on record [[fact):

Zumaya: 104.8 mph - 2006
    Verlander: 102.4 mph - 2011

Joel Zumaya : We'll never really know what / whether he did a dumb thing to prematurely end his career. But for a few years, the guy threw the baseball harder than any human I had ever seen. Nolan Ryan was better in his prime, but Joel Z had to be top-3 in usable baseball velocity all-time. Too bad we didn't get a few more years. Almost Mark Fidrych-like in his decline.

The human body is constructed to throw a baseball just so fast, and at the very ends of the bell-curve are the super-humans. Joel [[along with Nolan Ryan) was one of those....

Living outside the Detroit area and having the MLB pkg, I get to listen to the opposition broadcasters start each series by talking about how their team has to face the very potent Tiger offence. It drives me nuts! Today was the 50th game this year the Tigers have scored 2 runs or less.

Today, the Tigers are at the bottom of their division all by themselves, aka last place & 18 games behind the Royals. Great job by the Indians to remove themselves from the bottom of the list by winning the last 2 games. Another direction? Yep, we are seeing the titanic.....and they are selling "playoff" tickets?

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Today, the Tigers are at the bottom of their division all by themselves, aka last place & 18 games behind the Royals. Great job by the Indians to remove themselves from the bottom of the list by winning the last 2 games. Another direction? Yep, we are seeing the titanic.....and they are selling "playoff" tickets?
    Shocking, with that lineup they started the season with. Last place at this point?

Detroit is still only five games out of the last wild card slot. Are they very likely to make it? Probably not.

"Welcome to tonight's game where the high-flying first place Blue Jays take on the last place Tigers."

I think Toronto will threaten the Royals if they meet in the playoffs. They've made a big turnaround since the trade deadline.

Kind of funny [[actually NOT funny) but Rod Allen predicted in early April the Tigers and Nationals in the World Series.

BTW: In the last 10 games, Tigers are the only team with a losing record [[3-7) in their division.....new GM is doing a great job with the new direction, today only 19 games down?

"Play Ball".......

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Kind of funny [[actually NOT funny) but Rod Allen predicted in early April the Tigers and Nationals in the World Series.
    I like Rod Allen, but he's too much of a homer. He never criticizes the Tigers on anything. At least Kurt Gibson and Jack Morris are more subjective in they're analysis. They aren't afraid to call the team out when they screw up. I've also noticed lately Gibby is on more telecasts than Allen. Hmmm..........
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; August-29-15 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I like Rod Allen, but he's too much of a homer. He never criticizes the Tigers on anything. At least Kurt Gibson and Jack Morris are more subjective in they're analysis. They aren't afraid to call the team out when they screw up. I've also noticed lately Gibby is on more telecasts than Allen. Hmmm..........
    I'm really enjoying Gibby's telecasts. He's teaching me a lot about situational play, approach etc. that I never hear from others. It's too bad his health might prevent him from taking another managerial job. Jack is okay but I don't find he adds much that I don't already know.

It's all academic anyway, they got destroyed again today, 15-1. Glad the NFL starts in a couple of weeks, watching the Tigers is starting to get painful.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; August-29-15 at 06:06 PM.

Kurt? Really Kurt? C'mon man it's Kirk Gibson.

Only 20 games behind....."Following Dave Dombrowski’s exit from the Detroit front office, Avila’s comments had a win-now tone".

It's all academic anyway, they got destroyed again today, 15-1. Glad the NFL starts in a couple of weeks, watching the Tigers is starting to get painful.
    Looking foreword to college football this weekend. Jerry Green said yesterday on radio that the Tigers quit. Strong words.
    Fire the pitching coach at the end of the season, keep the manager another year.

Quote Originally Posted by the rock View Post
    Looking foreword to college football this weekend. Jerry Green said yesterday on radio that the Tigers quit. Strong words.
    Fire the pitching coach at the end of the season, keep the manager another year.
    I say clean house. Ausmus is gone as well, his decision-making is suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by the rock View Post
    But what would you do if the Lions, Wolverine football and Spartan football become just as painful too?

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    But what would you do if the Lions, Wolverine football and Spartan football become just as painful too?
    Won't be a hat trick this year. At least one of those teams will have success.

It's not easy, but if you are going to keep watching the rest of the year you have to ignore the scores and watch the game for the individual performances of those who will be back next year. Most of the poor play is coming from those 10 or more players, mostly pitchers, who have no chance of returning.

Those who I see returning: Hitters - McCann, Cabrera, VMart, Kinsler, Iglesias, Castellanos, JD
    Starters - Verlander, Norris, Sanchez, One of Boyd/Fulmer
    Relievers - Wilson, Wolf, Hardy

On the Bubble - Gose, Romine, Alburquerque, Rondon

Everyone else - Good Riddance!
    Last edited by 401don; August-30-15 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    If all the local Fall teams tanked, and knowing the Pistons are not the answer and the Red Wings are suspect, I will resort to my old, I mean really old, Lone Ranger episodes.

Jays have hired former Indians President & GM Mark Shapiro as team President to go along with GM Anthopoulos. This is the direction most teams are going. The Tigers need to do the same and get a good baseball executive to oversee operations as well as Avila.

We have a new GM & Manager with no prior experience....[[it shows).

Detroit News;

The Tigers were outscored, 29-5, in a weekend wipeout that made it nine losses in a team’s past 10 games. Detroit’s record is 60-70 ahead of a potentially thorny three-game set that begins Tuesday at Kauffman Stadium against the first-place Royals.

A manager who probably won’t be back in 2016, Brad Ausmus, is obliged along with his players to make September competitive and as gratifying as possible even as the Tigers, division winners the past four years, are the American League Central’s last-place team.

Won't be a hat trick this year. At least one of those teams will have success.
    Indeed... Go State!!

We have a new GM & Manager with no prior experience....[[it shows).

Detroit News;

The Tigers were outscored, 29-5, in a weekend wipeout that made it nine losses in a team’s past 10 games. Detroit’s record is 60-70 ahead of a potentially thorny three-game set that begins Tuesday at Kauffman Stadium against the first-place Royals.

A manager who probably won’t be back in 2016, Brad Ausmus, is obliged along with his players to make September competitive and as gratifying as possible even as the Tigers, division winners the past four years, are the American League Central’s last-place team.
    I'm not surprised. The Tigers, much to the cheers here at DetroitYes forum, raised the white flag and sold off this season to rebuild the farm system.

Right now our starting pitchers are Verlander [[pitching very well) and, er, pray for 4-days of rain. Other than JV there are better pitching staffs in the minors pitching for teams which have excellent farms than our starters. Simon, Wolf, Boyd, etc. aren't going to scare anyone...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast