60K miles was alot for that car. The Merkur was luxury deluxe but a clunker for certain. Ford new. Too bad they could not make a go of it, if they actually ever tried. In the mean time Honda and Toyota were creeping up with their compacts loaded running to 200K miles easily. I recall as I had a couple of college student hatch back Toy Tercels [[used) after a couple of bad turns with compact Fords and Chevy's.

I once had a Pontiac Lemans. What a beauty it was [[77 or so year). Heavy, blue and impressive. Multi-barrel whatevers, fast with chrome. bench seating [[I was not so crazy about the seating).

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
I wish I knew because I really liked driving that car. I sometimes wonder if Ford saw the handwriting early on because I was offered a Ford extended warranty at a decent price. I rarely buy one of those but, for some reason, did with the Merkur. I never had breakdowns, but was a regular dealer customer getting nearly everything replaced under warranty over the 4 years. Traded it when it hit the end of warranty, 60,000 miles...