Why should I pay $100 for a t-shirt when I can walk across the street to Varvatos and get one for $90? The competition should be good for all and soon we will have $80 t-shirts.

Seriously though, one gets the feeling that there is a secret or at least quiet attempt to transform Merchant's Row into an upscale shopping district. Moosejaw was a starter, Varvatos very loudly, now this. David Klein Gallery is moving into the Townsend around the corner and there are a couple other higher end retailers committed but I can't recall just now - an upscale hardware?

I believe Gilbert's goal is to create a critical mass tipping point by first securing it with his police then throwing his money at it. If enough shops are concentrated and walkable it will become a meaningful fun destination, worth the parking costs. And the value of Gilbert's holdings will soar.

This is happening in the Cass Corridor centered on the Willys-Shinola block. Remember when it was just Avalon Bakery? Now there are about 40 interesting venues all walkable.