Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    Unfortunately most people outside of Detroit aren't familiar with the Guardians interior, I doubt there are too many that rival its beauty in the US. Pictures dont even tell half the story of the arcade in the Guardian.You have to experience the colors in person. I LOVE THE PLACE.. Rowland's work is untouchable.

Here's some more about Architect Wirt Rowland and his famous buildings, large and small:

http://ilovedetroitmichigan.com/detr...ort-biography/
    THE ACHITECTS OF RECORD FOR UNION TRUST/GUARDIAN BUILDING ARE SMITH, HINCHMAN & GRYLLS. Wirt Rowland was JUST an employee although the chief designer. Rowland would never have been involved with the project if he had not been employed by SHG. Also my research has revealed that Rowland may not have been as involved with the design as we have been led to believe. Donaldson & Meier were involved as associate architects and through my research I have found they were very involved in the design. Also I have seen a couple sets of plans prepared by Rowland, he did not sign them architect, which is something EVERY registered architect in the state does! I need to go to Lansing to look up to see if Rowland was even a registered architect.

Included is an image from a 1929 issue of Michigan Architect and Engineer. Notice the architects of record and associate architects.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by p69rrh51; May-06-15 at 10:58 PM.