Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    So the problem is that now we look and realize that we voted in the wrong people? The problem with that is that even if we somehow manage to vote out the incompetent assholes, there's a line of even more incompetent assholes waiting to take their place, and odds are they're even more incompetent than the last bunch.

It's scary to think of how many people are voting no because they think a better solution awaits. You want to know what's going to happen after this gets voted down? Nothing. Nothing at all.

I got a rotation at the tire shop and was talking to the workers. They brought me out to show me that I have three rims with imperfections that will eventually fail. He asked if I want to replace them, and I said Heck no, not until they fail, because if I do get them fixed, I probably won't make it home before the new ones get bent. He tells me that probably at least half of rims he sees now, some on cars with less than 10,000 miles, have some form of this. Eventually they'll all fail but even then I bet people will still just wait for the Road Funding Fairy to show up and make it right. But they'll still complain about the condition of the roads and blame someone, that much is for sure.

A small subset of the population will vote yes next week. But a vast majority will sit home or vote no, then after the dust settles, they'll get right back to complaining about how bad the roads are and magically expect that someone is going to come do something about it.

If you really expect that your no vote or don't vote will yield something better, then please make sure to go out next Tuesday and get a bag of sand before they run out, because a lot of people apparently will be needing some to bury their heads into.
    The commissioned salesman's best friend selling fear, "it's going to fail!". I can only suggest that you don't take a tire salesman's word as gospel. I have replaced rims from pot holes. I make the decision myself based on inspection and handling characteristics. I do feel bad for the people that lack this ability and get ripped off by tire sales people but garbage legislation like this will not fix that problem.

What were the final results of the DYes poll?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    What were the final results of the DYes poll?

The measure failed, just like it will tomorrow.
    Last edited by Gpwrangler; May-05-15 at 03:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    The he measure failed, just like it will tomorrow.
    And the DYes straw poll matches some polling!

I'm voting yes, but I know it's going to fail.

Every previous time that I've voted in Detroit it's been a great experience. This time was somewhat challenging.

The polling place that the state website sent me to go to was very close to where I've gone before, so instead of paying attention to the map I just went where I've voted the past two or three elections -- only to realize it was in a different school on the other side of the block [[Detroit Day School for the Deaf, instead of Edmondson Elementary.) There was no sign on the street, but there was one just in front of the door, which is set back from Forest by about 200'. You have to pull into the parking lot to even see the sign. So I'm reasonably sure I'm in the right place, since the sign is right there, but all the doors were locked. Just as I was walking away confused a maintenance guy for the school came around the corner and rang a doorbell that I hadn't noticed; someone buzzed us in.

To be fair, the weather sucks and I was fairly distracted by other things. And if they only get one sign, they put it in the best place possible. But all my previous experiences voting in Detroit have involved wide open doors and clear signage.

Number 170 in precinct 20 of Rochester Hills. Second in line when I got there. There was only one person in the parking lot passing out info, and it was for a mayoral candidate. Our ballot was Proposal 1 only.

Proposal 1 is getting slaughtered in early returns. Oakland County, about 25% of precincts in, losing 78-22, down about 100,000 votes.

Quote Originally Posted by BankruptcyGuy View Post
    Proposal 1 is getting slaughtered in early returns. Oakland County, about 25% of precincts in, losing 78-22, down about 100,000 votes.
    Yeah, it was DOA big time.

Trying to find a silver lining here:

This was presented as a not-so-subtle extortion attempt [["vote the only way we'll allow or else we'll leave you to deal with your own potholes"). If it fails, maybe the movers and shakers will learn to show more respect for the electorate in the future. This blatant attempt to corral voters was far too conspicuous to be sincere.

On the other hand it wouldn't surprise me that those Parasitic Saboteurs in Power™ defied the electorate despite a Prop 1 failure just to rub into your face the idea that your vote doesn't matter anymore.

Let's pretend we still have a democracy! What fun!

In short, if the electorate no longer has the authority to call the shots, then they no longer have the responsibility for the consequences either. Tell me, who does?

So go fish.

Do you dare to allow even more harm to your own constituents? Let's play this out.

Bluff called.
    Last edited by Jimaz; May-05-15 at 09:47 PM.

We voted. My husband varied but voted no. I voted no. The proposal was just too stupid! I like our tax dollars tracked. Liked everything proposed but like things separate.

I guess our govenor will just have to keep filling potholes

Scooby: Rut ro Raggy. Rhat we gonna do rout those rot roles in da road?

A resounding NO. Interesting. Cetainly understood every thing in the bill, would have supported all. Just rolled into one package was odd. Can't trace that money!

I hope everyone contacts their reps in Lansing and tells them what they think the next step should be.

The next step is plan reasonable repairs to the roads that need it most, with the money they already get. Those of us who own and maintain property, vehicles etc., can probably give suggestions on how to budget if needed.

It's NO NO NO! prop 1. No new taxes! Now Snyder and his geek squad will have to go back to Lansi-- I mean Rome! to work out a plan b. Wait a minute there is no plan- b!

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

I'm waiting until the I-75 Rouge River Bridge to collapse anytime. You all folks better remember the Zilwaukee Bridge collapse in the late 1980s.

For Neda, Guy Fawkes and all our black males who been killed by cops.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    The next step is plan reasonable repairs to the roads that need it most, with the money they already get. Those of us who own and maintain property, vehicles etc., can probably give suggestions on how to budget if needed.
    I'm going to suggest what I've been suggesting all along, take the gas tax money, that was supposed to be destined for road infrastructure, out of the General Fund, and start applying it to what it was meant for.

Interesting spin duality:

R's: See, this proves voters don't want any new taxes.
    D's: See, this proves that voters would want a tax just for the roads, and don't want cuts to other programs.

D's: See, this proves that voters would want a tax just for the roads, and don't want cuts to other programs.
    The only spin I'm seeing is a governor FAR out-of-touch with the populace.

He truly thought he had a big chance of winning this bullshit. Went around the country revealing his true obsession, bringing his saviorhood to the masses beyond Michigan. Uh-huh.

Now that they all know he's not a prophet...heh...and is capable of creating HISTORIC losses in the polls...I'm hoping he just goes back to private life. Soon.

I was SO happy our flight was early last night, got to the poll just before they closed...was the 311th voter and had the precinct to myself at first. As I was walking out, there was a last-minute rush. Seems I wasn't the only one hoping to pile on...helping create this full-mitten bitchslap on Snydely's head.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    You all folks better remember the Zilwaukee Bridge collapse in the late 1980s.
    This does not seem to be consistent with recorded history.

Proves we're not stupid enough to fall for fake smashed school buses and other crap too.

R's: See,his proves voters don't want any new taxes.
    Are corporations voters? I know that they're people too.

Do they vote or do they lobby?

That's what it came down to. Corporate tax cut a billion plus then to make it up the real people get the nod.

What gall.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    The only spin I'm seeing is a governor FAR out-of-touch with the populace.
    So what do you think the populace wants? More taxes or money shifted from other parts of the budget?

If you think that more taxes are necessary, who do you think is more likely to come up with that proposal, the House/Senate or a governor-led proposal?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Are corporations voters? I know that they're people too.

Do they vote or do they lobby?

That's what it came down to. Corporate tax cut a billion plus then to make it up the real people get the nod.

What gall.
    So your suggestion is that voters REALLY wanted a new $1B+ corporate tax hike? Is that likely to come from either the House/Senate or the Governor?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I'm going to suggest what I've been suggesting all along, take the gas tax money, that was supposed to be destined for road infrastructure, out of the General Fund, and start applying it to what it was meant for.
    That's too simple, so it won't happen.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast