Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
Actually, I believe the Council and the Ilitch come up with the best agreement possible by some 'drop dead' date.

If it is a full contract, MoU [[Memorandum of Understanding), etc. or whatever, at the time of the deadline, fine.

And I really, really disagree with this approach: "He's not going anywhere because of some delayed red tape."

That is not a business-friendly approach [[and yes, Ilitch is a business man. Does matter if he is selling pizzas or entertainment).

I don't think Detroit can play hardball with any developers, regardless of the public contributions, tax write offs, etc.

P.S. were we posting on Brush Park three years ago? The momentum is building. Do not cause unnecessary drama.
This assertion is completely ridiculous and nonsensical.

Ilitch is being given hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars to build his new hockey arena, largely based on his vague promises to develop the land around the new arena. He has everybody excited about his promises and proposals, but refuses to commit to any of his promises in writing.

We have seen Ilitch play this game of promising spin-off development numerous times over the last few decades, and he NEVER fulfills his promises, no matter how many millions we blindly hand to him in the hopes that he will honor his word.

Getting swindled by a billionaire is not a "business-friendly approach." Requiring a billionaire welfare recipient to sign a contract in exchange for hundreds of millions of tax dollars is not "playing hardball." It should be a red flag when Ilitch doesn't want to sign a contract that commits him to fulfill his grand public promises in exchange for a quarter billion in taxpayer welfare.

I don't want to see the Red Wings leave Detroit, but if Ilitch isn't willing to sign a contract to commit to just a few of his grand promises, in exchange for hundreds of millions in taxpayer welfare, it seems pretty clear that he doesn't intend to follow through.

If we need to give away hundreds of millions to a billionaire in order to keep our hockey team in Detroit, maybe it isn't worth it. The lower Cass Corridor will be very attractive to developers, with or without a new hockey arena. The Ilitch parking lot wasteland behind the Fox Theater is notable for its lack of investment while the rest of downtown has been booming.

The economic studies of public investment in pro sports stadia are widely in agreement that they are a bad investment and poor use of tax dollars. If the city council request for Ilitch to sign a contract committing to his promises is a deal breaker, we are better off by it not happening.

If Ilitch isn't willing to stand by his word and honor his promises, he can go fuck off to Oakland County, or Oakland California, and swindle their taxpayers.