Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Roundabouts are stupid and ugly.

And driving on the wrong side of the road sounds like a recipe for confusion and delay!

Sometimes, safety isn't the only variable, traffic engineers.

Keep this in mind when you try to cram self-driving cars down our throat.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Roundabouts are stupid and ugly. 1953
    Did a 5 year old type that?

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with a roundabout. Seems like traffic moves so much quicker through those then a typical intersection [[save for the morons who stop in the middle of them to let traffic enter the roundabout). Plus I find them much more asthetically pleasing to look at than a typical paved over intersection. They are usually nicely landscaped and have lighting.

I feel like the only people who are having trouble with them are the older crowd. But hey, what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Did a 5 year old type that?

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with a roundabout. Seems like traffic moves so much quicker through those then a typical intersection [[save for the morons who stop in the middle of them to let traffic enter the roundabout). Plus I find them much more asthetically pleasing to look at than a typical paved over intersection. They are usually nicely landscaped and have lighting.

I feel like the only people who are having trouble with them are the older crowd. But hey, what do I know?
    The people who stop in the middle are the same ones who can't merge: usually younger folks, entry level car like a '98 gran prix or Malibu, surprising number of them on the phone or not even looking. Don't blame us old farts lol I step on the gas when I merge.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    The people who stop in the middle are the same ones who can't merge: usually younger folks, entry level car like a '98 gran prix or Malibu, surprising number of them on the phone or not even looking. Don't blame us old farts lol I step on the gas when I merge.
    Well, I'll have to give you that one as well. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    This is not what I've found. It seems the older generation [[60+) is not used to roundabouts at all so they stop instead of yield when there's no traffic, and when they get into the circle they go slow because they don't have a clue what they're doing.

My friend broadsided a woman though who didn't stop or yield and just flew right out into her. And just this weekend I had to slam on my brakes because no one knows how to merge and the person in front of me, an older woman, stopped because she thought she was gonna get hit. Never mind the fact she cut me off entering the circle. I wouldn't have been on her tail if she just waited.