Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    There also was a HoJo on the Lodge service drive and Pembroke in Detroit. I don't know what they use the building for now, but you can still see the distinctive orange and white roof.
    That building does definitely appear to have been a Howard Johnson's. I looks like an older one, like the one that used to be on Mack near Vernier. I'm pretty sure this was built on James Couzens Hwy., before the Lodge was cut through. From the streetview it now appears to be a medical clinic, with a sign that shows 2 pediatricians and a ob-gyn who are DMC-affiliated on one side, and a family planning clinic on the other.

What's really interesting is the other, smaller, building on the property, which also appears to be HoJo related. It even has a little HoJo style cupola on the top. I wonder what it was used for?

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    That building does definitely appear to have been a Howard Johnson's. I looks like an older one, like the one that used to be on Mack near Vernier. I'm pretty sure this was built on James Couzens Hwy., before the Lodge was cut through. From the streetview it now appears to be a medical clinic, with a sign that shows 2 pediatricians and a ob-gyn who are DMC-affiliated on one side, and a family planning clinic on the other.

What's really interesting is the other, smaller, building on the property, which also appears to be HoJo related. It even has a little HoJo style cupola on the top. I wonder what it was used for?
    If I had to guess, I'd say a service station.

Post #20. I didn't think they had gas stations at HoJo's, but I could be wrong. I was a little tyke back then, and don't remember. I believe it was probably used for something else. But I got confirmation from a Aunt that it was a HoJo on the Lodge service drive, she said she use to eat there, back in the early to mid 60's.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; March-07-15 at 12:44 PM.