Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I think it has more to do with declining business than crime. I'll miss the place.

End of an era indeed! This will be the first time that no restaurant anywhere is owned and operated by a member of the Muer family since the original Joe Muer Sea Food opened on Gratiot in 1929. That, my friends, is a hell of a run for a family to operate restaurants.

For those fans of the Muer style of restaurant - which did vary a bit from family member to family member, but not enormously - the good news is the Muer legacy lives on in several varieties. Of course you have Joe Muer's downtown, operated by the Vicari family; there is also, out in the suburbs, the Kruse and Muer restaurants which are very good, Steve and Rocky's in Novi is related to the family [[Chuck Rachwitz was for many years Chuck Muer's executive chef) and, if you happen to be in Grand Rapids, check out Leo's. Leo Beil, Jr. is the son of Chuck Muer's right-hand man Leo Beil, Sr. [[natch) and grew up in the Muer restaurants. I'm probably missing some - I think Craig Dilworth, who rose up within the Chuck Muer organization, is running a restaurant in the area, and there are others. I'm not sure the remaining few old Chuck Muer restaurants, such as Big Fish in Dearborn, which are now operated by the Landry's Seafood company, retain much if at all of what they were when Chuck was overseeing them before the tragic boating catastrophe in the early 90s.

I knew Chuck for many years, worked for him for a time and enjoyed many lovely meals at his restaurants [[plus Joe's, and some of the others I mentioned, and of course the one closing tonight) and I hope the others continue the legacy of fine but comfortable dining. Best of luck to Dave Muer and his staff.
    Last edited by professorscott; February-26-15 at 11:53 AM. Reason: correct a misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    End of an era indeed! This will be the first time that no restaurant anywhere is owned and operated by a member of the Muer family since the original Joe Muer Sea Food opened on Gratiot in 1929.
    Actually, the Harvard Grill, just a few blocks from Blue Pointe near Cadieux and Mack, is owned by David Muer's brother Mike.

Although Harvard Grill is more of a greasy spoon than a nice sit down restaurant. Very dirty inside, just look at the ceiling and the walls. It looks like the inside hasn't been wiped down in decades. Very bedraggled looking clientele too.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; February-26-15 at 03:56 PM.