Mom hit a patch last year coming home from Twelve-Oaks [[using a gift card from Christmas). The car in front of her hit the brakes because they wanted to "change lanes". Naturally, my mom braked the car caught the black ice, skidded out of control, ricocheted off the stopped car [[which only got dented), and she hit a wall where it totaled. Because Mom hit her, in the eyes of No-fault, she was "at fault", somehow.
Brother hit black ice on Levan and 96. He did a complete 180, and a woman [[oddly enough, an employee of AAA) broadsided him. Police didn't fill out a report on that.
Years ago I drove a D.J. to a gig, got caught on black ice as I approached a light at Mt. Eliot. I honked at the truck stopped there, and I could see them spinning their tires to move. We connected, and the D.J. [[a person with a rabid coke habit I later learned) was way too flipped out and screaming at me [[most folks-especially potheads-would immediately ask if you are okay). I saw this burly dude get out of the truck, and I groaned [["okay let's get this over with"). As I approach the truck driver, I notice a Zig Zag Man tattoo on his arm, and I think "Hmmm, will he be mellow...?" Sure enough, he was laughing "Oh yeah, I saw ya' sliding; couldn't move in time." The D.J. bailed with another car in caravan that showed [[and had to make some snide quips). As the driver and I were exchanging info., we saw at least three other vehicles spin out on the adjoining stretch. "Yeah" the truck driver said, "That black ice is no joke."
Enough said.
Be safe out there folks.