Quote Originally Posted by 4V4DMD View Post
These are some great stories and Lowell rightly marks it as a changing of the Detroit bar scene and general population at bars downtown.

My parents always went to the Eastside location and all its character. I only visited once and was disappointed to see the clean, sleek new spot on Selden loose some of that ground in charm on Field st. But it was still a mixed crowd on Selden of all ranges and simple, good food. John always had it out for me. He would be grumbling about something and then talk a little trash to me but never to my friend. It was entertaining, but he was tightly wound and ready to snap sometimes. I just laughed if off and we enjoyed ourselves. The waitresses now are less engaging but they still have 40ozs and solid food. Hope John is doing well and the new owners keep Sugar House and Wright's style away from HoJos.
I felt the same way about John's new joint... but it worn in quite quickly and feels comfy -- even if all the surfaces are new. He brought the bar from Field St., and that really helps make it feel like home.

I also really hope the new folks keep the spirit alive. Would have to think they want to.