Quote Originally Posted by expatriate View Post
GP is practically a museum of pre-WWII houses of spectacular architecture, thousands of mature trees, and a walk-ability that is missing in many of the newer places built since. It has the good fortune not to have been dissected by freeways and overpopulated with strip malls. Unlike many communities of the suburbs and exurbs it grew organically from summer cottages to industrial wealth mansions to upper middle class neighborhoods. It has always been a place of mixed housing types and residents of varying incomes more characteristic of a small town. It was not built as single homogenized development to accommodate "white flight" as is the case of most of the suburbs of the metro area. The "money" of SE Michigan with some exceptions has indeed moved north and west, but as someone who moved here in 1960 for high school I'm happy to report that GP has never looked better. I only hope that Detroit will succeed in its revitalization efforts as our futures are most definitely linked.
Thank you expatriate, A nice summation in brief of the Pointes and how it has stayed intact. My opinions on the walls are well known but won't repeat what I have already said too many times.

Stunning homes, great parks, libraries that are open daily.good schools. diversiity of housing. I love to drive the pointes in spring with the flowering trees and shrubs. The history is facinating. It hurts to read GP detactors because it only spews from hate towards Detroit and GP proxiimaty to same.

Always nice to hear from people who left for many valid reasons but don;t brag their" escape".