I don't need to make this a lecture on charity. Haven't met all at the tent city. Undoubtedly some may have substance or mental issues. There is help like DHS, social servive orgs like crossroad, Catholic service etc.
For several years we have gone to food distribution centers because so many of our neighbors are elderly, Handicaped, alone in the world, poor, no transport type issues. Other neighbors help distribute. Some centers save stuff we distribute apart so we can actually run in and they load my van.

Sometimes things are funny, I was given 80 some pounds of onions, all i could think was crap I have to take this home and sort it for redelivery. Boy was I glad to see it was actually already in 3# bags. Another time I got five huge cases of greens. Couldn't have told you if it was collard or mustard I asked around as I delivered this stuff cause I had never made them myself. Got different seasoning advice but pretty much was told to wash them remove heavy veins and boil the piss out of them with a smokey turkey part. I kept a small bag and it was pretty good