I grew up in the late stages of Detroits golden years. An almost perfect childhood. Watched the decline. Eventually did move out due to school issues but never stopped working with city non profits. Moved back to assist my Mom in EEV, then cared for her as she declined. That was 7 years. I have tremendous respect for the EEV community and we did our part in a small way.

Where I live now is almost magical to me. The community is so close knit, the old homes lovely,the generations that have lived here, the history, the caring and sharing, the oddballs and activists. Its vibrant. Always believed Detroit would see a resurgence but perhaps not in my lifetime but I am seeing it.

Our focus has always been kids so I guess I want them to have what I had. Loads of work need to be done, no near libraries, no active rec facilties so neighbors do amazing things for after school and summer programs.

We used to be crime free but a spate of home invasions last year mobilized the community. Community worked actively with the 7th precinct and those fuckers were caught pronto, drug house opened up and community/police shut it down in two weeks. They tried to reopen shut down intwo days.

I love the syngery of younger people moving in and the awesome dignity of our elders.

I hate winters but love Detroit. Will never leave again.