Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I knew about the RenCen's 'upgrades' long before they were installed, and had great trepidation over the Las Vegasing of the Detroit skyline.

Their logo, however, is tiny...compared with the whole structure...and even though it is made of those obnoxious LEDs, since it is SO far above the street it does not create the same level of driver distraction that those nearer eye-level cause. They program it to show more than one static logo...and nearly monthly have special events which they promote through it, some not even of their own corporate family.

The blue on the elevator shafts grew on me over time, and I now feel that whole deal was an upgrade to the towers. But it took a long time to alter that analysis...

If done properly, I can see a path to compromise...if the signage were not visible from any sight lines from the street level, maintaining the integrity of Yamasaki's simple lines and proportions, it would not be too offensive. That means, if it were only on the lower portion of that cake-top...they would still get the benefits of national exposure with the blimp and helicopter views, and Canada would know we have a bank that cannot tell if they were the 5th or the 3rd...some joint well worthy of keeping track of your money, right?!
    Last edited by Gannon; November-03-14 at 04:46 PM.