Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
You are missing my point. I'm not saying that Dollar General is high-end shopping, just like I'm not saying that McDonalds is fine dining. I'm saying that Dollar General stores are almost everywhere in America, just like McDonalds.

There are a shitload of Dollar General stores in Troy, Clinton Twp, Sterling Heights, and many other Detroit suburbs, just like McDonalds and Walmart.

Do you sneer at Troy, Sterling Heights, or Clinton Twp because they have strip malls with Dollar General stores, or do you reserve your distain specifically for Detroit?
Troy, Sterling Heights, and Warren may have a Dollar General inside their strip malls but not far from it is a Dunhams, Bed Bath and Beyond, Casual Male XLR etc. There are balances in these working class suburban areas. Detroit doesn't have that. I don't know if the "shop Michigan" is jutting many good stores out of the game saving the Dollar Generals or is it a plot to keep the better national retail s in the suburbs to keep their economy going. Local homegrown businesses have to have the same mindset as national retailers; cater to the basic needs and not just to one specific group