Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by UMich06 View Post
    The thing I want to see more than anything is outdoor seating. It makes the atmosphere so much more lively. Anyways, what are some of your ideas?
    I like outdoor seating, the problem is in big cities you're usually sitting right next to a busy road. Imagine sitting there eating with an idling bus ten feet away blowing diesel exhaust into your food. Cafe seating for drinking coffee or whatever is different, but street-side eating seems silly to me.

The best idea I've seen was at a place called La Bonne Soup in New York. They have a second-floor patio [[not rooftop, the whole front of the second floor opens up over the street) Still makes the street scene a little more lively as there are people outside, but you aren't sitting next to a road, and the view is nicer.

Woodward needs stores - lots of stores. A department store would be fantastic - ideally something like Macys. Maybe John King could do a small shop - I think they're always looking for more places to put books. How about an old fashioned indoor car showroom from GM - with the halo cars right up in the front window? They have one in the basement of the ren-cen, but it's in the basement - not the best for pedestrian advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    The best idea I've seen was at a place called La Bonne Soup in New York. They have a second-floor patio [[not rooftop, the whole front of the second floor opens up over the street) Still makes the street scene a little more lively as there are people outside, but you aren't sitting next to a road, and the view is nicer.
    Of all places for me to mention, Woody's in Royal Oak has a really awesome setup where the second story windows open fully. It has always been a must-stop for Arts, Beats and Eats and seems to give that strip a slightly more... open, "full" feel. I definitely agree with you there.

Beyond that, getting rid of the strip mall in Highland Park, which will never happen, would be awesome but instead we're stuck with a monstrosity that would look infinitely better if the stores had actually fronted Woodward with parking in the back.