Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Oh, yes, I have made that noodle recipe with cabbage and cottage cheese, or apples and cottage cheese. One of those two variations is Schnitz und Knepp, but I forget which. I think with apples. I'm going to look it up.

OK, it's the apple one. Here's how I do it, I use fresh not dried apples, and bacon, not ham.

Schnitz und Knepp
    About 4 good size apples, sliced
    2-3 cups noodles, I love to use bow tie pasta for this.
    1 small chopped onion
    2-3 T brown sugar
    8 slices bacon
    16 oz cottage cheese

Fry the bacon and remove from pan to drain. Break it up in pieces
    Pour off all but a couple tablespoons of grease.
    Cook the noodles, drain and keep hot.
    Saute the onions and apples in the bacon fat until just soft, stir in the brown sugar and let it melt.
    Mix the cottage cheese, apples, onions and bacon into the noodles.
    Add some pork, bake, and add sour cream. Very hearty meal.

Quote Originally Posted by jams View Post
    Add some pork, bake, and add sour cream. Very hearty meal.
    Somehow I caught your update, but I'll let it stand, never added pork with apples, only cabbage, but in my head, the apples and pork should work well. I will try it out soon.

Original Recipe Yield 1 - 12 cup bundt cake

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups butter
    • 3 cups white sugar
    • 5 eggs
    • 3 cups all-purpose flour
    • 2 teaspoons lemon extract
    • 3/4 cup lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage

Directions

1. Cream together the butter and sugar for 20 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time. Add flour, lemon extract and fold in the 7UP ™ soft drink.
    2. Pour into a well-greased 12 cup Bundt pan. Bake at 325 degrees F [[165 degrees C) for 60 to 75 minutes.

Actually I use the internet alot for inspiration and recipes.

I love good and I love easy. I was actually looking for a foil wrapped fish, cheese and shrimp recipe and came across this. 5 minute prep time perked my eyes and ears.

Foil wrapped baked fish: any firm white fish works [[I used cod)

Brush fish with olive oil and melted butter. Liberally spice with any lemon pepper seasoning.
    On foil place one thick slice onion, put seasoned fish on onion and top with 1 slice real lemon
    Seal tightly, Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes

It was excellent and so easy.

I'm feeling that Sumas - yummy! Where'd you get the fish? I'm always looking for new places to get good fish, frozen or fresh [[not from China).

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I'm feeling that Sumas - yummy! Where'd you get the fish? I'm always looking for new places to get good fish, frozen or fresh [[not from China).
    Old enough to say the fish markets I went to over the years to are pretty much no more. No point in mourning whats gone. I have never been able to fry battered fish or chicken, always tasted fine but looks shabby. My mom was a farmers daughter and her fried chicken and fish were always spectacular. I learned so much from her regarding baking and cooking but never got the knack of that.

Got my fresh fish from Indian Village market on Jefferson. They are not consistant in supply though. Well I guess the method mentioned is much healtheir. It was really good.

I print out recipes from the net, I have a clip board, print and try a recipe, make notes on the sheet modifying to our taste. If I make it a second time and if I like it, I transfer to an index card and file.

I so hear you about food, personal product from China. Only once did I buy dog treats from China. All three dogs were barfing for two days. Not pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    ... I so hear you about food, personal product from China. Only once did I buy dog treats from China. All three dogs were barfing for two days. Not pretty.
    I did some fairly deep research into that problem about six years ago.

I'm glad I snagged a copy of the story in that one post because DetNews dropped the ball. Naughty, naughty link rot, DetNews.

The most appalling thing about the story was that the only reason there was any poison at all in the pet food was to fool a protein test to make a few extra bucks. It was a deliberate act. I vaguely recall that the culprit was caught.
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-28-14 at 10:26 PM.

I have become fascinated with Dollar Tree which I call the Dollar Dollar store., food products. Some food products come and go, some are always in stock. My husband likes their ginger snaps and lemon bar. Always buy their frozen hot pretzel bites. Have tried some of their frozen appetizers with mixed success. They had an awesome horseradish sauce which I bought in volume, good thing, no longer in stock. Went to On the rise bakery with friends for sandwiches took a bottle with me. They went and bought several jars too.

Yes, I've been happily surprised to find some very simple, low or no processed food at DT! About a month ago the had the Sugar In The Raw brand raw sugar packets boxed. Then recently in their frozen section they had Pot Stickers with a list of about five ingredients made in the USA. Similar I have found low processed frozen Spring Rolls. Incredible.

Scary they have alot of food-stuffs straight from China that I will not touch. If I find a particularly good item I buy multiple as it may be a one-time deal.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I have become fascinated with Dollar Tree which I call the Dollar Dollar store., food products. Some food products come and go, some are always in stock. My husband likes their ginger snaps and lemon bar. Always buy their frozen hot pretzel bites. Have tried some of their frozen appetizers with mixed success. They had an awesome horseradish sauce which I bought in volume, good thing, no longer in stock. Went to On the rise bakery with friends for sandwiches took a bottle with me. They went and bought several jars too.

I split posts often, I get busy and time out on posts. Bought some personal pizza crusts there [[2 in a package) and some Brushetta tomato topping from there too. Eating it now, made only one. Brushed the crust with grapeseed oil and minced garlic. layered pepperoni bought there added some toppings we like and of course cheese. My husband and I split the one we made. We are in separate but adjacent rooms and I hear his voice, buy more. He is a bit fussy. The crust was decent the marinara excellent. Very good snack cheao and all US product

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    The most appalling thing about the story was that the only reason there was any poison at all in the pet food was to fool a protein test to make a few extra bucks. It was a deliberate act. I vaguely recall that the culprit was caught.
    Yeah a friend lost her dog to that madness. Though very tragic this issue served as an early indicator of what comes out of China. I no longer eat any Talapia fish coming out of there.

I am always a little surprised at Dollar Tree. Most food products are Usa and I do pay attention to source countries. Went with a neighbor today, I needed wood matches. He needed a few things too. I saw this product, a packet of long grain white rice, they also had multi grain, nuke in package 45 seconds. I was intrigued by the package.98% fat free, vegan,no preservatives no artifcial colors or preservatives, Gluten free, cholesterol free, no high fructose corn syrup. Rice grown in Spain packaged processed in India. Nuke or stove top.

Thought why not, only a buck. I was making spinach cheese pie, greek salad, rolls and a sauce for rice.

Dang it was really good, Squeeze package, tear half the top, nuke for 45 seconds. I also liked the disclaimer that it is made in a plant that also processes almond, walnut, peanut and pecan products. For people with serious allergies the possible dust contamination shows responsible manufacturing.. I will definitely buy more. Label is Farmers Table Grains
    Last edited by sumas; December-28-14 at 09:12 PM.