Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Interesting that the shooting happened in 1967 and the shooter got out of a 1969 red Olds....

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDetroiter View Post
    Interesting that the shooting happened in 1967 and the shooter got out of a 1969 red Olds....
    It was a prototype.....

I don't have the book handy here but St. Brigid's Roman Catholic parish [[closed now)
    in Detroit may have a mention in Sugrue's "The Origins of the Urban Crisis" as a place
    where the church fathers were preaching against white flight whilst their parishioners
    were all leaving for the suburbs. I was baptized at St. Brigid's some while before major
    white flight. Fast forward to 1967...I am nine years old, living in the St. Mary's of
    Royal Oak parish. Mom keeps all of her children inside and we watch riot footage on
    TV. We are somewhat concerned whether it will reach our neighborhood, since the
    area of the riot is increasing at least at first, but it never does. My parents were
    Roman Catholics of the social justice flavor best typified by Father Gumbleton, and
    were very perturbed by the riots, and bought a large number of paperbacks about them,
    which stayed in the house library for years, until they fell apart. One of the St. Mary's
    priests in that era was Father Cunningham and in the aftermath of the riot he would
    stop by at my parents' house and have dinner from time to time and regale them with
    the volunteer opportunities available at Focus:Hope. For years also we had a Focus:Hope bumper sticker on the family station wagon too. Others were far and away better volunteers
    than my folks were but my Dad did go down to help install doors at the Oakman Ave.
    Focus:Hope food warehouse which had previously been a Mario Olives factory and had
    concrete worn down by brine inside.