Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I was a jr in highschool. we loaded up our VW bus and went to head into the city to hang out. a bus full of suburban teens at the "indestructible age". we were stopped on the NW side by police who made it very clear we should turn around and go home. our parents were outraged we had even attempted the trip, we were grounded for a week. for me, the reality of the 67 riots didn't really hit home until I met my husband a few years later. my mother.in.law brought out some pictures to go through. burned out buildings, sad faced people, guys in various uniforms. so I asked her how these pictures were part of her life......my in.laws owned a bait and tackle shop, called the yellow front store on 14th & Seldon. key word was "owned". it was burned out and looted. nothing left, no way to support the family. Too much for father.in.law to deal with, a few months later he died of a massive heart attack. it's just empty corner now, with fading memories from my husband and brother.in.law.....and a profound sense of shame on me for being a kid who wanted to be cool and see what was happening. a kid who hadn't a clue about the properties, lives, families who were devastated by the those riots that us kids thought we should go to the city and hang out around. lily

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    I was a jr in highschool. we loaded up our VW bus and went to head into the city to hang out. a bus full of suburban teens at the "indestructible age". we were stopped on the NW side by police who made it very clear we should turn around and go home. our parents were outraged we had even attempted the trip, we were grounded for a week. for me, the reality of the 67 riots didn't really hit home until I met my husband a few years later. my mother.in.law brought out some pictures to go through. burned out buildings, sad faced people, guys in various uniforms. so I asked her how these pictures were part of her life......my in.laws owned a bait and tackle shop, called the yellow front store on 14th & Seldon. key word was "owned". it was burned out and looted. nothing left, no way to support the family. Too much for father.in.law to deal with, a few months later he died of a massive heart attack. it's just empty corner now, with fading memories from my husband and brother.in.law.....and a profound sense of shame on me for being a kid who wanted to be cool and see what was happening. a kid who hadn't a clue about the properties, lives, families who were devastated by the those riots that us kids thought we should go to the city and hang out around. lily
    What a great post Lily, it really gives the reader a feel for the times. From the initial contact with the DPD to the ass chewing you all got from the parents to the sad ending of the Yellow Front store....Thanks

Great post, Lily. It's a good perspective from a different point of view.

Box 526
    12 Th. & Taylor
    8:24 Am
    Sunday
    July 23

Cities Responding

Birmingham, Clinton
    Commerce Twp., Dearborn Heights
    Dearborn Twp., Detroit
    East Detroit, Ecorse
    Eloise, Ferndale
    Flint , Grosse Ile
    Garden City, Garden City Mutual Aid
    Gibralter , Grosse Pte Park
    Grosse Pte Woods, Harper Woods
    Highland Park, Hazel Park
    Harrison Twp., Lansing
    Livonia, Milford Twp.
    Madison Heights, Newport
    Plymouth, Plymouth Twp.
    Pontiac, Redford Twp.
    River Rouge, Roseville
    Royal Oak, Royal Oak Twp.
    South Rockwood, Sterling Twp.
    St. Clair Shores, Southfield
    Southfield Twp., Taylor Twp.
    Warren, Wayne
    Westland, Wyandotte
    Windsor, Canada
    Last edited by FEO; July-24-14 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FEO View Post
    Box 526
    12 Th. & Taylor
    8:24 Am
    Sunday
    July 23

Cities Responding

Wyandotte
    Up until mostly now, I did not know that Wyandotte was also involved in the riots.

I copied this list in 1967 when the Detroit Fire Department, the City of Detroit, the Firemen’s Fund or the Firefighters Association printed it out. I can’t remember who as that was 47 years ago.
    Probably some cities sent an apparatus / apparatuses with manpower , just manpower or some firefighters from these cities came on their own. Then it was noted where they came from and this list was printed.

Here is some additional information.

On some pictures of the 67 riot you will see Firefighters in OCD [[Office of Civil Defense) fire gear rather than their regular Detroit issued fire gear. It is assumed that these were Fire Axillaries, not so, most were us regular Detroit Firefighters.
    Here’s what happened. We were called back from home, or just seeing a notification on TV, and told to respond to certain command locations rather than to our regular firehouse. I ran at Engine 31,….. Engine 42 was our command post.
    Every engine house had OCD fire gear [[coats, helmets & boots) in their basement .Since we didn’t have our stuff we grabbed those to wear. Then we waited till an X-rig [[ Old extra apparatus ) pulled up and jumped aboard.
    As there was more men then rigs we piled as many men on a rig as possible. When we left Engine 42 our X-rig held 37 men. We were jammed in the back, in the cab and the outside holding on to anything and everything. We counted as we wanted to remember the number) This was the number of men on the rig I was on. Every X-rig was jammed with men. If some men ran across their own company during that day they left us & went with them. The ones that didn't were dropped off at their regular company Monday morning.
    Last edited by FEO; July-24-14 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FEO View Post
    I copied this list in 1967 when the Detroit Fire Department, the City of Detroit, the Firemen’s Fund or the Firefighters Association printed it out. I can’t remember who as that was 47 years ago.
    Probably some cities sent an apparatus / apparatuses with manpower , just manpower or some firefighters from these cities came on their own. Then it was noted where they came from and this list was printed.

Here is some additional information.

On some pictures of the 67 riot you will see Firefighters in OCD [[Office of Civil Defense) fire gear rather than their regular Detroit issued fire gear. It is assumed that these were Fire Axillaries, not so, most were us regular Firefighters.
    Here’s what happened. We were called back from home, or just seeing a notification on TV, and told to respond to certain command locations rather than to our regular firehouse. I ran at Engine 31,….. Engine 42 was our command post.
    Every engine house had OCD fire gear [[coats, helmets & boots) in their basement .Since we didn’t have our stuff we grabbed those to wear. Then we waited till an X-rig [[ Old extra apparatus ) pulled up and jumped aboard.
    As there was more men then rigs we piled as many men on a rig as possible. When we left Engine 42 our X-rig held 37 men. We were jammed in the back, in the cab and the outside holding on to anything and everything. We counted as we wanted to remember the number) This was the number of men on the rig I was on. Every X-rig was jammed with men. If some men ran across their own company during that day they left us & went with them. The ones that didn't were dropped off at their regular company Monday morning.
    Interesting stories, FEO, Thanx.

At the time, I was at WSU but living at home [[I later moved to campus, in an apartment building even historic preservationists wouldn't want to save. Lol) and drove into an area not far from the problems. Near WSU???? [[I can't remember).

I was told in no uncertain terms by a Michigan State Policeman to get the hell out.

I did.