Quote Originally Posted by ljbad89 View Post
Damn. I hate you all.
I suppose that this thread, like other threads on the subject, got threadjacked by the same thing that the other thread did, from the first post:
A while ago, there was a thread about Livonia Mall. It had maybe 70+ posts, but towards the end, it turned into city-suburbs debate.
Sorry about that, if I've contributed to that same behavior.

In keeping with the original topic, I'd like to discuss the mall subject.

All the malls in the area that are suffering the vacancy rates that they are experiencing are dying because of one thing. Shoplifting. The shrinkage rate is alarming in retail. Small mom and pop stores in malls close first, since they are least able to cope with the losses. The smaller chains close next, then the larger ones, due to a combination of shoplifting and the lack of buying foot traffic.

You'll notice I said buying foot traffic. As it's been posted here before, suppressing the teens going to malls is a double edged sword. Some buy things, but then again some teens suppress older people from going to the mall by their actions, as well as shoplift as if it's an Olympic sport. The cost of security is driving mall stores out of business, not to mention the economy.

I'd think the lesson for all of us is, if you want somewhere to shop, and somewhere to go to, is to teach your children and grandchildren [[if possible) the value of respect for other people's property. And that applies outside of the retail setting as well.