Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
Somehow, I doubt you would recognize a McMansion if it flew from the clouds and squashed you like the Wicked Witch of the East ala Wizard of Oz. Really. Granted, people should, and probably will, downsize their housing choices. But blaming suburbia for the ills of society in general won't get you anywhere. They voted with their feet, and the exodus continues still.

It only makes sense financially to live within the city center and the surrounding burbs if you have a job in the central city. That is what kept me where I am at all these years. I hate to drive in rush hour traffic, and waste an hour or 2 in that traffic out of my life each working day. But people will rationalize the trip for comparative safety and peace and quiet.

There are absolutely no shortage of large homes in the City. Probably some could be considered the "McMansions" that you despise. Why don't you rail against their existence? Is there a difference? Believe it or not, those new homes you hate are 10 times greener than the homes you love in the city. Materials used, energy used, etc. Only thing different is the land use, which IS inefficient.

The quality of life in Detroit is the problem. I'd bet if there were no incinerator, the police responded to crime, and things in government and taxes were fixed, that there could be a resurgance of home building, and people moving back. At least some. Not all. And I can't imagine that there's going to be a quick solution here.
Actually, I mostly agree with you. The city needs to be a safe and rewarding place in order to keep it's residents happy, and right now it just isn't. While it has noticeably improved in some areas, greater Downtown Detroit still leaves a lot to be desired.