Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Thread: Firehouses

Hybrid View

The small round grey/white Federal units in use today around the country are pretty much useless beyond a mile. On a good clear day, I can hear one about 3 miles away if I'm outside.

When they cranked up the big Chrysler units like the one on 53's quarters, there was no doubt about hearing them. They'd rattle the walls. Ten minutes after they shut down you could still hear them winding down. They were like a 'Q' on mega-steroids.

Default Fireboat & Engine Co. 10

Here are a couple photos from recent days: Fireboat Curtis Randolph rendezvous with the Engine from Company 8 at the old Coast Guard dock between Stroh River Place and Chene Park to do some drills prior to the APBA Gold Cup races.
    Attachment 2261

Attachment 2262

Next are a few shots I took earlier this evening of Engine Co. 10/old Ladder Co. 4 on Vinewood and W. Grand. The first photo shows the firehouse in relation to two classic "pineapple" streetlights still standing vigil on the corner. The other two are closer views of this unique firehouse. I was also hoping to get a couple photos of Engine Co. 1 behind the Fox, but Tigers traffic put the kabosh on that. Tony Box, thanks again for your continuing posts with information and education for those of us who are interested and trying to learn about the different firehouses and companies.
    Attachment 2263

Attachment 2264

Attachment 2265

Cortese
    A long time ago we used "Red Ball" gloves that were cloth gloves coated with orange rubber or plastic. They would get stiff and wouldn't grip that well after a while. I don't miss them.