Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

The Grosse Pointe area is certainly a good choice for proximity to the hospital although it may be unnerving to look across Mack Avenue, especially in Grosse Pointe Park, to see some burnt out or boarded up houses on the Detroit side. Generally it's best to be farther out, although issues of price and availability become more pronounced. St. Clair Shores is safe and close but may not offer your preferred choice in housing. Parts of Grosse Pointe are attractive, but overall the area isn't quite like Buckhead, with which you may be familiar. The best shopping and dining in the metropolitan Detroit area will be found in the North Woodward suburbs like Birmingham and Troy if that is major factor for you, but the freeways do offer good access. Trips into Detroit for cultural, sporting and other attractions are popular, but the people you meet here will give more detailed information on those.

Quote Originally Posted by A2Mike View Post
    The Grosse Pointe area is certainly a good choice for proximity to the hospital although it may be unnerving to look across Mack Avenue, especially in Grosse Pointe Park, to see some burnt out or boarded up houses on the Detroit side. Generally it's best to be farther out, although issues of price and availability become more pronounced. St. Clair Shores is safe and close but may not offer your preferred choice in housing. Parts of Grosse Pointe are attractive, but overall the area isn't quite like Buckhead, with which you may be familiar. The best shopping and dining in the metropolitan Detroit area will be found in the North Woodward suburbs like Birmingham and Troy if that is major factor for you, but the freeways do offer good access. Trips into Detroit for cultural, sporting and other attractions are popular, but the people you meet here will give more detailed information on those.
    You sound like the Macomb Township kid who parks my car.

Quote Originally Posted by GP For Life View Post
    You sound like the Macomb Township kid who parks my car.
    Sounds like an astute fellow. Probably knows that Detroit is the elephant in GP's living room.

Sounds like an astute fellow. Probably knows that Detroit is the elephant in GP's living room.
    Do you know a lot of astute valets? I am guessing you do, since it's all relative.

Spilling a few beans here. Lived in Grosse Pointe Park for almost 14 years then onto Harvard in East English Village for about 7 years. Now in Islandview Village.

Grosse Pointe Park is an excellent area to be in. Two prime lake front parks including access to parks in Jefferson Chalmers Community. Access to everything on the east side and downtown. Can easily skip I-94 as Kercheval, Mack and Warren will get you any where you want to go near the St. John complex.

94, 75, 696 easily accessable.[[sp) Can be out of town in minutes.

No problem with Saint Clair Shores, either. I wish I had a grand a month for rent when I was your age.

Welcome to Detroit. Eat, Drink and be Merry.

Welcome to the North from Georgia. Buy a good shovel and enjoy the snow. Will not be as bad next year.

See I told you Detroiters were uber friendly, even our ex pats. Give age and a few details and people will probably try to get you married.

Stay on the board when you move and you will be amazed at the tours and home invites you receive. The real Detroit is nothing like our national image.

Once you harden off, try living in the city too. Lots of worts and pimples but such amazing people and experiences too. I am total city. Sumas

How crude, I am guessing A2 means Ann Arbor, what do you know about Detroit. My son owns a home on Harvard, EEV, Our other lives in Midtown, They have owned property in GP. Nice areas

Lots of great places to eat and party on the east side too. Mostly really happy in the D. Really wish subs would stop commenting. The opinions are non important living in burbs!