Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
I think, in the context of the overall project, pedestrian bridges aren't a major factor in the total expense, but the detail misses the larger and more important point.

You can design a city for people, or you can design it for cars. There does not seem to be any excellent "balance point" at which a city functions well for both people and cars. Detroit has gone full tilt, for a hundred and more years, in the "designing city for cars" direction. So there are lots of cars in Detroit - a great many, at any given time, simply driving through it - but there are only a bit more than a third as many people as there used to be.

And yet, here we are, deciding that what Detroit needs is to be a better city for cars than it already is. Astonishing. I would think, if you have touched the hot stove and hurt your hand enough times, eventually you would stop doing that. But I'd be wrong.
"When you seek to solve a problem by deepening and expanding the problem, you can tell a deep-seated process is at work." -Lewis Mumford