Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by ridgeabilly View Post
    For those who still have the inclination and ability to read, there are two books that inform one regarding the factors that led up to the so called riots and Detroit's decline - " Arc of Justice " by Kevin Boyle and Sugrue's" The Origins of the Urban Crisis: Race and Inequality in Postwar Detroit " . When Snyder says things in the press like " Detroit's problems started in the 1950's " it exemplifies that fact that we set the bar so low when electing our leaders. The one tough nerd took lots of business classes, but he skipped the urban studies.
    Sugrue's book is an awful book to learn from if you are trying to look at the issues as objectively as possible. He selectively uses data [[cherry picks) to support his predetermined conclusion, rather than gathering all of the data and letting that guide him to a conclusion.

It is like reading a Michael Moore or Ann Coulter book -- it's just too partisan to deal with at times, to the point where it damages his overall cause.

Generally speaking, folks that laud the Origins of the Urban Crisis are suffering from confirmation bias, IMO.

I was 13 at that time. Random memories-my folks were in Paris and boy was my Dad pissed when European stations showed bombed out towns from WW2 as Detroit. My Dad served in that war and was all over Europe so I guess he knew.

A lot of burbs set up barricades.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    Sugrue's book is an awful book to learn from if you are trying to look at the issues as objectively as possible. He selectively uses data [[cherry picks) to support his predetermined conclusion, rather than gathering all of the data and letting that guide him to a conclusion.

It is like reading a Michael Moore or Ann Coulter book -- it's just too partisan to deal with at times, to the point where it damages his overall cause.

Generally speaking, folks that laud the Origins of the Urban Crisis are suffering from confirmation bias, IMO.
    What books would you recommend about Detroit's history EBW?

Ahh...interesting memories get stirred. My parents were indeed inundated with urges from Realtors to sell using scare tactics. They never did and in fact my youngest son now owns their home. EEV is still a great place to live. My sister and niece live in EEV too.