Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
I don't know if they were pocketing cash -- but it really doesn't matter. Here's how its done. You do anything to raise cash. Sell things like golf courses. Borrow. Anything. Then you show how profitable and essential your department is. Then you get yourself a raise and an pension increase. Life is good. No money actually goes from 'renting cars' into your pocket directly. But in the end, it gets there. Happiness retiring at 45 after years of working with 2 months vacation per year in a job where less the 0.2% get fired.

No, it is true – they were making cash income. The “museum” and I use the term loosely, was making a profit off the car the DHS lent to them. An expose’ was written about this in HOUR magazine about 8 years ago. According to the article the “museum” disregarded their contract with the DHS and instead of leaving the cars on static display, they rented them out for weddings, graduations, etc.

After the expose’ broke, DHS officials retrieved the cars and other historical items and sent the cars to REAL museums to go on display. That is all I can say at this time about that situation.

Sadly, the DHS does not have the room to display all of the cars in their collection. Earlier this year helped to get a Scripps Booth rocket car from an out-of-state museum and it is now on display at the Cranbrook Art Museum as part of their Michigan Modern Exhibit running through September.