Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoforlife View Post
    My point is that in Detroit it breaks up downtown from the rest of the city making it not very walkable, right in the heart of downtown it's different but it'd be nice to see downtown connected to other areas of the city and see those areas develop. I know midtown Detroit has developed a little around the hospital's and Wayne State but it's still not very well connected to any other area of the city.
    How is this in Detroit:
    Name:  Detroit.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  44.4 KB

any more of an impediment to walking or development than this in Chicago:

Name:  chicago.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  33.6 KB

Or this in Chicago:

Name:  chicago2.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  65.2 KB

You have to cross that ^^^ to get to the West Loop, especially its Restaurant Row at which starts on Randolph at Desplaines or so and heads west, over the highway for several blocks - it straddles the highway. 90/94 certainly is not breaking anything up, nor is the river breaking up River North/Gold Coast/Streeterville from the Loop. I think in some cities, like Houston, it does rope the city in, but that's not the case in Chicago or Detroit [[or other cities that structure their highways in such a manner).

That's exactly why it is thought that the new Red Wings arena and $650M entertainment complex is going right across 75 from Foxtown - it's easily accessible to both midtown and the rest of downtown. Walkable, bikable, driveable, easily.

Getting back on topic though, I would venture up to that area if it was really worth it. I could also drive but I don't like doing that in bigger cities,
    Better not go to any major city outside of Chicago and the Northeast then...LA, Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta require cars, fwiw.

Just use Uber. It's newer here in Detroit so I haven't used it but my friends back home in Chicago love it. It must have started up out there after last summer because I don't recall hearing about it at all before I left.
    Last edited by TexasT; April-02-13 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    How is this in Detroit:
    Name:  Detroit.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  44.4 KB

any more of an impediment to walking or development than this in Chicago:

Name:  chicago.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  33.6 KB

Or this in Chicago:

Name:  chicago2.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  65.2 KB

You have to cross that ^^^ to get to the West Loop, especially its Restaurant Row at which starts on Randolph at Desplaines or so and heads west, over the highway for several blocks - it straddles the highway. 90/94 certainly is not breaking anything up, nor is the river breaking up River North/Gold Coast/Streeterville from the Loop. I think in some cities, like Houston, it does rope the city in, but that's not the case in Chicago or Detroit [[or other cities that structure their highways in such a manner).

That's exactly why it is thought that the new Red Wings arena and $650M entertainment complex is going right across 75 from Foxtown - it's easily accessible to both midtown and the rest of downtown. Walkable, bikable, driveable, easily.

Better not go to any major city outside of Chicago and the Northeast then...LA, Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta require cars, fwiw.

Just use Uber. It's newer here in Detroit so I haven't used it but my friends back home in Chicago love it. It must have started up out there after last summer because I don't recall hearing about it at all before I left.
    You have to cross it to get to most of the West Loop, the West Loop starts at the river and goes all the way to Ashland and then from Grand down to the Ike. The part of the West Loop around Union and Ogilvie Stations is pretty active. But yeah to get to Greektown you have to cross the Kennedy.

I dunno though, Detroit's downtown is bounded by three expressway's and a river, it seems pretty unconnected to the rest of the city as far as ramming expressways through town. Going north and south in Chicago there really isn't any breaking off point except for when you get down by Cermak and McCormick Place and have the Stevenson right there, otherwise I think the Dan Ryan/Kennedy is pretty well removed from downtown.

And yeah I don't like cities where I need a car to get around everywhere.

I dunno though, Detroit's downtown is bounded by three expressway's and a river,
    The river [[and international border) cuts off Detroit yes much like the lake in Chicago but I have not see any decent argument as to how the freeways are any more of an impediment than 90/94 or the river for Chicago. You have the exact same street crossings coming out of the CBD; whether those crossings are over concrete or water makes no matter.

Can you explain why crossing the river is different than crossing the highway?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    The river [[and international border) cuts off Detroit yes much like the lake in Chicago but I have not see any decent argument as to how the freeways are any more of an impediment than 90/94 or the river for Chicago. You have the exact same street crossings coming out of the CBD; whether those crossings are over concrete or water makes no matter.

Can you explain why crossing the river is different than crossing the highway?
    The river has always been there, the expressways ruined neighborhoods in what should be an urban area. I like what they did with I-95 going over the George Washington Bridge into NYC, they have high rise apartments right on top of the expressway.