Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
...snip...Makes me wonder what the REAL motivation is behind the anti-EM movement. I think certain people are deeply, deeply afraid that the years of skimming off the top, patronage, nepotism, and theft from the taxpayer are now being threatened by the EM. After all, the EM is an outsider who is not part of Detroit's modern day Tammany Hall-style corrupt political machine.
I believe most people are sincere. They buy the idea that this is anti-democratic.

Another group is simply using this to aggrandize themselves. See Sharpton, Shabaz, et. al.

Perhaps the largest forces are the unions. They [[and to a lesser extent their patrons/members) have been the best beneficiaries of taxpayer funded benefits which you either believe are appropriate and fair -- or you might believe have created a 2% of public employees that enjoy benefits they don't share with others -- while yet maintaining that them getting theirs is the road to everyone getting theirs.

Your premise that loss of patronage, nepotism and theft is driving this is in the right direction, but I think that most people are simply protecting their privilege. They don't see the skimming/patronage/nepotism as systemic.