Welcome to Detroit. I used to live in the Marina Towers and in Oak Park. Moving to Detroit will allow me to be a home owner, which is nearly impossible in Chicago. I will say that you shouldn't rule out places like Midtown and the Central Business District. My friend just moved into the condos at Riverfront and loves it. She likes being next things without being in things, if that makes any sense. And she loves that wonderful view of the riverfront. Many nice places like the Broderick and the Kales have a professional set of tenants and good security. I looked at Harbortown and while I liked it, it was a bit too far from where I wanted to be.

We are both single women and we walk around the central business district and Midtown by ourselves. Not stupidly, but not cloaked in fear and desperation. Please give the city a chance. It's a nice place and while troubled, I really enjoy most of the people I've met here.

And the food. I love my Chicago favorites [[Garrets and Portillos) but I am finding myself gaining weight in Detroit. Just make sure you don't miss out on the great places in the D.

Unfortunately, there's no helping the Blackhawks thing. That's one of the reasons I moved. No affordable housing and my only NHL option were the freaking hawks. One championship in 60 years and they think they are special. If I was going to spend money on season tickets, I had to move to Detroit. But feel free to wear your sweater. My friend wears her Stars sweater to every Dallas game and people are fairly nice about it. Being that hockey in Dallas is just depressing.