Alright. More info requested. No kids. Prefer to live on the outskirts of Detroit. One bedroom for anywhere between 900-1200. Both have cars and will be driving to work. Have not considered speaking to a real estate agent. Never even entertained the thought for an apartment. For people who understand the Chicago area, we are outside of Naperville.
For iheartthed: No this is not fake. Don't know what about my original post made you think this would be fake. I am not coming on here bashing anything about Detroit [[And that is with being a Blackhawks fan).
Detroit_Uke nailed it. This is more considered for my information about the areas and safety for my wife. There may be a time period where I will out of the state for an extended period of time for training or stationed elsewhere. This is why I am looking at outer burbs for pure safety reasons.
Looking at locations in downtown Detroit, Google maps street view has not done it justice. When you see trash littering certain areas and torn awnings, it doesn't to counteract the run down city label. And yes Chicago has those exact images as well in certain areas. Just doesn't help for an outsider looking in. Just my opinion.
Thanks for all the replies so far.