Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

How is it doing? Has the novelty worn off yet?

Quote Originally Posted by piczka View Post
    How is it doing? Has the novelty worn off yet?
    Stays busy. Been a few times, really busy at lunch but also a ton of people doing carry out.

ArmDetroit Guest

Apparently it's doing well enough to shut down neighboring businesses.

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...uthfield/page4
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmDetroit View Post
    A wing joint opening downtown isn't going to force other businesses in the community to close.
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Tell that to the Ham Shop across Monroe.

I was there yesterday for lunch. Still pretty busy at 1:30, although the auto show helps. The flat yellow exterior certainly isn't attractive. When I pointed out to my wife where we were going she said "It doesn't look open yet."

It will do fine because of the brand. I think the foods sucks but for some reason people feel good about going to this chain.
    If your an out of towner coming for an event then this place is something they know and trust.
    Even we need some chains

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    It will do fine because of the brand. I think the foods sucks but for some reason people feel good about going to this chain.
    If your an out of towner coming for an event then this place is something they know and trust.
    Even we need some chains
    I haven't been there yet [[I will, as I am a Bdubs fan), but this is only part of what will make them successful. It's also likely the best sports bar in downtown Detroit, which is a big selling point in a very sports-focused city that is generally lacking in that capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I haven't been there yet [[I will, as I am a Bdubs fan), but this is only part of what will make them successful. It's also likely the best sports bar in downtown Detroit, which is a big selling point in a very sports-focused city that is generally lacking in that capacity.
    This.

The closest other place for lots and lots of big TVs you can watch at the same time is probably Rub, which isn't that great because of the lamps that hang down and block the view of the TVs behind the bar.

As of right now, I plan on leaving work early on that first [[real) day of the NCAA tourney and watching those games there, my bracket in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    This.

The closest other place for lots and lots of big TVs you can watch at the same time is probably Rub, which isn't that great because of the lamps that hang down and block the view of the TVs behind the bar.

As of right now, I plan on leaving work early on that first [[real) day of the NCAA tourney and watching those games there, my bracket in hand.
    It's quite possible I'll be doing the same. Detroit Pub is the only other one I've been to that was ok. Haven't been to Hockeytown yet [[since it's pretty much always closed) but have heard that's not bad. The options are severely lacking around here though.

Rub BBQ is also pretty good for watching sports and I haven't been there much but Pappy's is another - but BDubs downtown just went crazy with the TVs, almost 100 in total. There's also a second level, which is more of a bar than a restaurant [[21 to enter), with what has to be the largest flat screen I've seen.

Detroit Pub, Rub, Pappy's, Hockeytown, BW3...maybe there are more sports bars than we realize?
    Last edited by TexasT; January-24-13 at 05:00 PM.

There are plenty of bars in downtown to watch a game, maybe not with 100 TV's.
    I might have to bring back my name that bar thread from years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    Detroit Pub, Rub, Pappy's, Hockeytown, BW3...maybe there are more sports bars than we realize?
    Can't say I've ever tried to watch a game at Rub or Pappy's, but neither seemed like they'd be ideal for it. I certainly wouldn't consider Rub a sports bar. I've watched games at Big City, Detroit Pub, Park Bar, Detroiter, Coaches Corner, Cheli's, Bagley Bar, and Dirty Trick so far I believe. Detroit Pub was the only one I really felt was a solid sports-watching venue.

Can't say I've ever tried to watch a game at Rub or Pappy's, but neither seemed like they'd be ideal for it. I certainly wouldn't consider Rub a sports bar. I've watched games at Big City, Detroit Pub, Park Bar, Detroiter, Coaches Corner, Cheli's, Bagley Bar, and Dirty Trick so far I believe. Detroit Pub was the only one I really felt was a solid sports-watching venue.
    Rub is pretty good for sports - I watched almost all of my college football games there last season. It has 7 TVs along the bar with other TVs stationed around the room and they'll turn the audio on whatever the "big" game is [[UM or MSU).

Rub is pretty good for sports - I watched almost all of my college football games there last season. It has 7 TVs along the bar with other TVs stationed around the room and they'll turn the audio on whatever the "big" game is [[UM or MSU).
    Rub will probably be one of my next spots to try, it does seem like it would be good, especially for individual/small group.

Be careful Spartan, the food there is abominable, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ismoakrack View Post
    Be careful Spartan, the food there is abominable, IMO.
    at Rub? I've had it twice and haven't been disappointed. Not as good as Slow's or Redsmoke IMO, but still solid. I like it more for the beer selection though.

Did Coaches Corner close?

I was told by a friend that the city of Detroit had told BWW not to open the upper level during the superbowl. One of the waitress had told her. I had went to BBW yesterday and asked for myself. The waitress, after checking with the manager had said that the upper level might be close during the superbowl. I wonder why being that everything is complete on the second level. Had anyone else heard that the second level might not be open during the superbowl?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I was told by a friend that the city of Detroit had told BWW not to open the upper level during the superbowl. One of the waitress had told her. I had went to BBW yesterday and asked for myself. The waitress, after checking with the manager had said that the upper level might be close during the superbowl. I wonder why being that everything is complete on the second level. Had anyone else heard that the second level might not be open during the superbowl?
    Yeah when we were there, they had closed the second level - DFD's orders. It's a nice second-floor bar too; we ate and drank up there when they first opened. Hopefully, if there's an issue, they can get it fixed in time.

Yeah when we were there, they had closed the second level - DFD's orders. It's a nice second-floor bar too; we ate and drank up there when they first opened. Hopefully, if there's an issue, they can get it fixed in time.
    Clearly they BWs disrespected someone. Or didn't hire the right person's cousin. Does it really make sense that a national chain after a year long renovation has a real problem that would require half the restaurant to be closed...after it was already open? I'm sure an envelope will find itself in the hands of the right person and the "problem" will be rectified.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Clearly they BWs disrespected someone.
    I'm sorry, it's not clear to me. Could you point out the specifics?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I'm sorry, it's not clear to me. Could you point out the specifics?
    Mysterious closure of half the restaurant, after it had already been cleared for opening, right before one of the the top 3 bar nights [[perhaps the biggest for a place like BWs) seems to like someone is turning some screws. But that is just me being cynical. I'm sure it was a totally legitimate code violation....that went unnoticed until just now.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Mysterious closure of half the restaurant, after it had already been cleared for opening, right before one of the the top 3 bar nights [[perhaps the biggest for a place like BWs) seems to like someone is turning some screws. But that is just me being cynical. I'm sure it was a totally legitimate code violation....that went unnoticed until just now.
    Well, It could be all the planets lined up, and the inspection just happened to fall in the time frame before the big game.

If someone or some group does have their hand[[s) out, BWW's representatives should tape the conversation and walk directly to the News/Freep headquarters:

http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-gui...-recording-law

IMO, contractors and others that put up with that shit are just as complicit as the crooks asking for it.

I went to BWW downtown yesterday. I had asked a waitress about the upper level being closed on superbowl day. She had said that the city had told BWW that a railing was loose so the upper level would have to be close due to it. It will reopen this weekend. I really feel that the city have their favorite restaurant who local official support. BWW may not be one of them which probably resulted in a forced partial shutdown so patrons would venture into the city support restaurants downtown for the superbowl

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast