Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
I assume Indian restaurants will generally locate where there are Indians, and where there are people who are open to new cuisines.

The Indian community is mostly in Troy, Novi, Farmington Hills, and Canton, so I assume that's where the restaurants are concentrated.
That is certainly true. Many of the better metro Detroit Indian restaurants are in the northern and northwest suburbs, where the ethnic communities are.

As for Hamtramck, that community is Bangladeshi, not Indian, but it's a small matter. East Sixth Street in Manhattan is the "Indian" strip, but they're all Bangladeshi too. Bangladeshi people do a great job at making classic Indian food. Zam Zam basically is attached to a Bangladeshi-style eatery. The back of the building, if you look in, is a cafeteria-style joint where Bangladeshi men [[only men) hang out and eat. The cloth doily Zam Zam is for the unhyphenated Americans.

Last I checked, there was also a tiny Bangladeshi place next to Bangla Town Market between Moran and Conant north of Carpenter, just behind the masjid. Cash only. My favorite is the aloo paratha, or bread stuffed with mashed potato and spices.