Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Brains View Post
    Lars and Metallica did a lot of damage to themselves when they were complaining about Napster back in the day. I don't know what they were thinking. The funny part is that it's MUCH easier to get free music now than it was back then. With Napster, you had to look up each individual song and download it, now with torrents, you just download entire discographies, all nicely organized with albums and tracklistings.

Ironically at that time, I actually bought and owned my Metallica albums, I was simply downloading their songs to have them on my computer for convenience [[I didn't realize I could just ripp songs off the CD and convert to MP3). Technically they "banned" me for downloading music I already owned.

Today I probably have almost a Terabyte of music, didn't pay for it, nor did I download it. I simply swap music with friends, which technically isn't illegal. I support live music however, and will gladly pay to see musicians I like in person.

I almost want to download a Metallica discography just to piss the band off [[and then delete it).
    Gee... so you violate copyright laws.... and just because everyone else does it, that makes it OK.... and because you got caught and had your hand slapped that makes them a lousy band....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Gee... so you violate copyright laws.... and just because everyone else does it, that makes it OK.... and because you got caught and had your hand slapped that makes them a lousy band....
    Whether or not I broke any copyright laws is still a grey matter now, and it was even more-so back in 2000 when Lars was crying about it. From what I remember, Napster was free and didn't make any money, as it was a peer-to-peer download system. I can plug my external hard drive into my friends computer and drop and drag every MP3 he has onto it and I have broken no laws.

Perhaps Metallica should have patented CD burners that came standard on EVERY computer at the time, and patented the ideas of blank CDs that you can burn songs too. Last I check, it's not illegal to burn CDs, it's only "illegal" if you sell that CD. Maybe even if the record labels didn't reject the whole idea, they could have banked big time.

As much as I hate Kid Rock and his music, one of the good things he has said is "Music sharing doesn't bother me, the people have just found a way of screwing the record labels the same way the record labels have been screwing the artists for decades, and it's beautiful."

Support musicians by seeing them live. That's how they make their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    This has nothing to do with Detroit, but to call file-sharing illegal is technically correct -- but socially naive. Sharing is the purpose of music. Sit around turntable and listen to the Beatles, Stones, Stooges -- whatever. Today we do the same but don't have to sit around the turntable. The RIA and Metallica didn't get it -- they're coming around. Because it turns out that those who 'illegally' download actually buy more product than those who don't. They now realize their financial future depends on sharing.