Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
I dunno. The People's Republic of Poland was certainly a satellite state of the USSR but it wasn't really "occupied." In fact it was probably more ethnically Polish then than today.

The food around here is certainly different but I wouldn't say it is "nothing" like Polish food. I think a big difference is that our Polish restaurants are not at all upscale. Polish people in Poland make big, nicely presented dinners rather than a paper plate with pierogi. There is also much more variation in restaurants like there is here, at least in cities of any consequence.

Rest assured, there is golabki and pierogi in Poland. You're not getting totally shafted.

Now, if anybody could bring this here that would be great. Best when you're totally blasted. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zapiekanka
I know all about current Polish cuisine a good friend is married to a Polish national and I have enjoyed great meals she prepares!
As for occupied what were the Soviet Military divisions doing there during the cold war, on holiday?