Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I'm not sure whether this would be related but is it true that professional boxers can be convicted of assault with a deadly weapon if they punch someone outside of a legitimate boxing match?

Would that mean that an amateur cannot be so convicted?

as long as the boxer was scared and had no other options but to throw an uppercut, no jury would convict.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Bingo.

At the end of the day the question will be was this driver in fear of eminent danger of death or great bodily harm, and I would guess he'll be granted a "yes", or at least get a pass.

I don't buy the argument that had he not shot the biker he may have sustained severe long lasting head injuries. That is not the case for 98% of people who get in fistfights. I would also believe that if he is able to unholster his firearm, aim and fire he could have just have easily dropped the vehicle back in drive and removed himself from the situation.

Most likely he will not be charged.
    2%: If you find yourself in a 2% chance of sustaining 'severe long-lasting heading injuries' I recommend using whatever force is necessary to avoid that risk. Your 10 year old at home needs you intact.

Flight: That's the first thing I wondered. Why didn't he flee? There must be a story here that I haven't seen in the coverage. I do hope it surfaces. Having been closely involved in attacks by drugged-out individuals, I can testify that this situation was potentially very dangerous to the Truck Driver. He clearly didn't decide to take the 2% change of injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    2%: If you find yourself in a 2% chance of sustaining 'severe long-lasting heading injuries' I recommend using whatever force is necessary to avoid that risk. Your 10 year old at home needs you intact.

Flight: That's the first thing I wondered. Why didn't he flee? There must be a story here that I haven't seen in the coverage. I do hope it surfaces. Having been closely involved in attacks by drugged-out individuals, I can testify that this situation was potentially very dangerous to the Truck Driver. He clearly didn't decide to take the 2% change of injury.
    Did any story indicate that the attacker was 'drugged out"? I must have missed that.
    And as to flight, it would seem to me that getting to the passenger's side would have been the beginning of a very good 'flight' plan.
    Something I did read, for those who said that perhaps he couldn't drive away because of people or things being in the way; he did try to drive away. He kept hitting the gas, but forgot to put the car in gear.

This is my rifle, this is my gun
    One is for fighting, one is for fun

He was punched 7 times before firing.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Did any story indicate that the attacker was 'drugged out"? I must have missed that.
    And as to flight, it would seem to me that getting to the passenger's side would have been the beginning of a very good 'flight' plan.
    Something I did read, for those who said that perhaps he couldn't drive away because of people or things being in the way; he did try to drive away. He kept hitting the gas, but forgot to put the car in gear.
    Gun control advocates see a senseless death.

Gun rights advocates see a perfect example of protecting the innocent.

I err to the side of 'rights' vs. 'control'.

If the victim of the attack didn't have a gun, this could have been really ugly for the victim. It ended up being really ugly for the aggressor. That is just to me.

This doesn't address the social question of whether the ubiquity of guns is an overall aid or curse to society. I don't know the answer. I err to the side of 'rights' -- but am very willing to see serious regulation to reduce harm.

Quote Originally Posted by RaumVogel View Post
    He was punched 7 times before firing.
    Sounds fair to me.

Let's hear it from the ones who think the truck driver could have done differently. The man in this incident was simply ordered to get out of his car...should he have gotten out of the car and let these thugs take what he worked hard for? Should he have gotten out of the car and taken the chance the thugs would kill him anyway?

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/Detroit-robbery-target-returns-fire-teen-killed/-/1719418/16620476/-/9o4on4z/-/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    Let's hear it from the ones who think the truck driver could have done differently. The man in this incident was simply ordered to get out of his car...should he have gotten out of the car and let these thugs take what he worked hard for? Should he have gotten out of the car and taken the chance the thugs would kill him anyway?

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/Detroit-robbery-target-returns-fire-teen-killed/-/1719418/16620476/-/9o4on4z/-/index.html

Nothing here to compare. No apples no oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post

The difference here is that there was a weapon shown by the would be theives. Although, according to morning news, the 50 year old fired and killed one teen ager, but the kids never fired at him.

Yes, I see how being approached by a group of men with guns drawn is the same as being approached by a single unarmed guy. Exactly the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Yes, I see how being approached by a group of men with guns drawn is the same as being approached by a single unarmed guy. Exactly the same thing.
    What tools do you use to determine the danger of an assailant, if they're not wearing their "Don't shoot me, I'm unarmed" t-shirt?

What tools do you use to determine the danger of an assailant, if they're not wearing their "Don't shoot me, I'm unarmed" t-shirt?

That's the one that says, "Not cranked on Meth, just MAD as hell" on the back, right?!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    That's the one that says, "Not cranked on Meth, just MAD as hell" on the back, right?!

I wonder, is there such a thing as a Sponge Bob death's head t-shirt?

In the case of the original situation, I use the gas pedal on my automobile tool.

It's an obscure tool, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I wonder, is there such a thing as a Sponge Bob death's head t-shirt?
    I can't believe I found one.

Wow! Believe me Jimaz I threw these two together without much thought but some hipster evidently beat me to it! Kudos to him and to you for finding it! lol

According to this, the bicyclist did have something of a violent and criminal past including B&E's, assault. No word yet from Wayne Co. prosecutor's office regarding any possible charges.

http://thenewsherald.com/articles/20...ewmode=default

How do you hit someone with your left door wile making a turn? Sounds like the bike rider just rode rite into him.

That's puzzling. The photos show the dent in the passenger side, and to the rear of the wheel well, not exactly on the door. Maybe a misprint.

Yes, the witnesses saw the bicycle hit the truck, not the truck hit the bike.

A update from the News Herald. Wow, it looks like in 2000 the deceased would have killed a 'friend' that he had beaten unconcious if an off-duty policeman had not happened by and intervened. Also wanted for burglary in Taylor, and arrest warrants issued by three other cities.

http://thenewsherald.com/articles/20...c370553146.txt

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    A update from the News Herald. Wow, it looks like in 2000 the deceased would have killed a 'friend' that he had beaten unconcious if an off-duty policeman had not happened by and intervened. Also wanted for burglary in Taylor, and arrest warrants issued by three other cities.

http://thenewsherald.com/articles/20...c370553146.txt
    So does that mean he deserved to die?

"So does that mean he deserved to die?"
    Of course not. The driver still should have taken off. However it does point out the cyclist had some anger management issues. [[hothead, fly off the handle, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    So does that mean he deserved to die?
    The cyclist chose to harm the driver of the truck. He had had previous incidents in which he tried to harm others. He's had encounters with the police department. Sometimes the "choices" a person makes can be their last one, and this was one of those times.
    From what I've read, the driver of the truck was more than likely going to be killed himself or would have suffered some very serious injuries had he not been legally armed. I'm sure he is suffering some PTSD today....no one "in their right mind" wants to kill someone.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast