Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

From the article: "Earlier this month, Emily Johnson and her friends drove from Troy to the Packard Plant, curious to see the cavernous ruins that everyone has been talking about. After an hour-long tour, Johnson and her friends returned to their car.
    “One of the windows was smashed in,” the 22-year-old said. “Everything we hid in the trunk was stolen. I won’t be going back there again.”

I'd rephrase the article as "Suburbanites upset that they are victimized while breaking the law in the city"

Here's what should be done:
    - The city should announce that they will not be sending in resources to the Packard and will not investigate any crimes against anyone that take place in the Packard [[unless someone was taken there against their will)

• The city should force the owner to hire private security
    • The city will consider ticketing anyone illegally entering or leaving the property with criminal tresspass and level a huge amount of community service as a fine [[I know, this contradicts the first point)
    • Anyone who reports being a victim of a crime while illegally in the Packard will be fined and sentenced to community service cleaning up other blighted properties.

I’m entirely too fed up with the Emily Johnson’s of the region whining about being attacked while illegally in a very dangerous place. Fuck her.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    I’m entirely too fed up with the Emily Johnson’s of the region whining about being attacked while illegally in a very dangerous place. Fuck her.
    Two wrongs make a right?

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Two wrongs make a right?

Nope, but neither do three wrongs. She is knowingly breaking the law, she is victimized, then she [[and others like her) are taking precious time from DPD that could be used to better protect the law abiding citizens.

If DPD was sitting around bored I would say spend time on this but her actions [[and others like her) are adding a urden to an already understaffed, overloaded DPD. If the option is to have someone respond to a call to help a resident or to help her, I say help the resident everytime.

Nope, but neither do three wrongs. She is knowingly breaking the law, she is victimized, then she [[and others like her) are taking precious time from DPD that could be used to better protect the law abiding citizens.

If DPD was sitting around bored I would say spend time on this but her actions [[and others like her) are adding a urden to an already understaffed, overloaded DPD. If the option is to have someone respond to a call to help a resident or to help her, I say help the resident everytime.
    I understand your concern, but given the scenario you laid out there are so many more serious wrongs than those committed by this woman with which I think we're better off focusing.

I understand your concern, but given the scenario you laid out there are so many more serious wrongs than those committed by this woman with which I think we're better off focusing.
    Agreed, kind of. If the wrongs are maintained only in that location then it needs to be written off. Now, more than likely the people committing these crimes are likely involved in other criminal activities so it would be a fair argument that getting them off the street is good for the residents however, I'd prefer my DPD response to focus on law abiding residents and visitors that are victimized while doing nothing wrong. Just a matter of how we want police to prioritize calls.

If the Packard Plant was in Troy, would Ms Johnson feel the same freedom/ entitlement to go into it, smash crap, take ironic pictures, and leave?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    If the Packard Plant was in Troy, would Ms Johnson feel the same freedom/ entitlement to go into it, smash crap, take ironic pictures, and leave?
    I'm not sure she felt the freedom or entitlement to do those things as it stands, but why are you asking me such an irrelevant question?

Maybe we can chalk this up to the internet and not Detroit, but it's amazing that people are being assaulted and we're only concerned with somebody entering a long abandoned building. It's like blaming sexual assault on the victim's choice of attire.

Maybe we can chalk this up to the internet and not Detroit, but it's amazing that people are being assaulted and we're only concerned with somebody entering a long abandoned building. It's like blaming sexual assault on the victim's choice of attire.
    The difference is it is not a crime to dress a certain way. I don't think the comparison holds as both are vistims but one is engaged in a crime and the other isn't.

Where does it say she "smashed crap?" Or did you just assume she "smashed crap?"

Troy has a version of the Packard Plant, on a lesser scale. It's called Kresge, on Big Beaver and Coolidge. It's been empty for years, you couldn't get in there though, it's pretty well secured.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Troy has a version of the Packard Plant, on a lesser scale. It's called Kresge, on Big Beaver and Coolidge. It's been empty for years, you couldn't get in there though, it's pretty well secured.
    How about that massive empty series of buildings at the border of Bloomfield and Pontiac?

You've got-sta know when you go into these abandoned areas you're being OBSERVED and judged as an easy 'mark' [[cameras aiming and fingers pointing as I've seen) for having your car broken into, stolen, camera taken from you or worse a direct crime up your person. I hope these where not two women? Very unwise...

No photos are worth that! I would not even drive thru there in the late evenings.

I’m entirely too fed up with the Emily Johnson’s of the region whining about being attacked while illegally in a very dangerous place...
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-13-12 at 01:53 PM.

• Anyone who reports being a victim of a crime while illegally in the Packard will be fined and sentenced to community service cleaning up other blighted properties.

Do you feel the same way about illegal immigrants? They're here illegally after all, so "fuck them," right? Anything bad that happens to them is justly deserved. And should they have the audacity to become the victim of a crime and wish to report it to the police, they should be immediately detained and deported.

I mean, you're not a hypocrite, right? So I will safely assume that the same standard you apply to people like Emily Johnson will also be applied to all of the undocumented immigrants living in Detroit and elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Do you feel the same way about illegal immigrants? They're here illegally after all, so "fuck them," right? Anything bad that happens to them is justly deserved. And should they have the audacity to become the victim of a crime and wish to report it to the police, they should be immediately detained and deported.

I mean, you're not a hypocrite, right? So I will safely assume that the same standard you apply to people like Emily Johnson will also be applied to all of the undocumented immigrants living in Detroit and elsewhere.
    It doesn't matter who what when where or why. If your in a situation that is not legal by your own choice then you left your rites behind. Why would you not deport undocumented immigrants and why should our tax dollars go to help them?