Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Now the question is John, are you willing to open YOUR mind and YOUR heart to the people who's comments are on par with Karen's and concerns do not align with yours? If they were to pour their minds and hearts out to you in words like you have done on this forum today, would you tell them "they've got to go" like you said about Karen Dumas and "people just like her"?

If the main source of your ire is the woman who wrote the article, or the mentality of the institution she represented, than I can somewhat sympathize with your enragement. But knowing that so many people across Detroit are having this conversation candidly and with no malice or venom only conveys to me that this issue is real and substantial, not ignorant or incendiary.

If you think this discourse is bad, you might want to invest in some blood pressure meds. Because this discussion is tame compared to what we will be dealing with when even greater numbers of Detroiters begin to realize that the resources being used to fund this development in the downtown neighborhoods is at the expense of THEIR lights, streets, and safety. Imagine telling another Detroiter who has been here for decades and is living like a prisoner in their own home that the reason that they're paying $1400 a year in taxes for a 950sqft house in a blownout dope neighborhood that hasn't seen a snowplow in 5 yrs. or their lights fixed EVER is so Corktown could have some new curbs installed last month. Or that some serious tax incentives have been given to individuals who's "business investments" haven't employed a single longterm Detroiter [[of any race)? All the streetlight fixtures have been repaired or replaced around my house in CTin the last few weeks, how's everyone else's streetlights working for them? How long will it take for the supposid tickle down to reach the folks not living in these targeted areas?

Who is really benefitting from this downtown investment?

These are MORE than relevant questions.

I'm sure I can confidently state for most DYessers that your opinion is most respected here Mr. Gannon, and I always make sure to appreciate what you have posted. But respect for the opinions and feelings of others is a two way street requiring an open dialogue with willing participants. More Detroiters need to make their feelings known and participate in the process, not less, if we want to get past this decades long divisiveness.

Even the Karen Dumbasses.

Thank you. This is exactly the type of challenge necessary for introspection and adjustment...learning and growing. I need it as much as any, I am not above or beyond being blind and ignorant myself. I hope it was clear when at the end I included MYSELF as the 'ass' who is likely acting "dumb".

I don't throw those silly nicknames out randomly, but need to temper it a bit so I don't alienate fully those who need to hear it most. Karen IS being dumb, and a ton of her commentary is assinine. But she, hopefully, is capable and willing to learn and grow, too.

IF not, then she will be a continual problem, because as a PR Professional, she has the position of potential power to sway a bunch of innocents by her propaganda.

What you say is largely true. There is serious misappropriation of civic funding. I'd like precision on the whole 'curb' thing...but from what I see, handicapped curbs have been improved all over town. From what I understand, it was a federal mandate with federal funding...which was actually performed incorrectly the first time by those hand-picked by the Kwhyme administration [[why does this not surprise anyone?!), and had to be RE-DONE at the city's at least partial expense due some legal action.

But if there are other instances I'm unaware of, please school me.

The issue is that the money is not fungible...it is not all from the same sources, nor with the same ear-marks or restrictions on spending it. If outside funding is mis-appropriated, it is a serious offense.

That said, it is true that there remains serious imbalance in attention paid to the neighborhoods, but it is NOT racist until someone starts crying out about it from their ignorance. I have a discussion from Facebook which I'm going to make public that may be very illuminating...I'll cover the participants names to keep them anonymous, but the words should be enough to make the point.

As far as the join or jump? I don't think those who think like Karen need to go anywhere except to school. We need everyone to learn what everyone is truly saying and doing and thinking, not merely having them react to what they IMAGINE is motivating those they truly don't know.

Karen's commentary was a reaction out of ignorance. Ignorance CAN be cured, with knowledge. But one needs to be open to dialogue, not hidden behind their trepidation, fears, and potential hatred. THAT is what needs to 'simply go away', that which fuels the divides in our world.

You are right to call me out, and I sincerely thank you for it. It is much better than those who merely throw shit-bombs from the peanut gallery. I have no use for them, but hold those who wish to engage in adult conversation in VERY high esteem.

Again, thank you.

But those who ARE obstructionist racists will need to get out of the way, especially those on City Council and in other positions of power. This is not 'their city', it never actually HAS been...and their pretending it was has helped run it into the ground, and worse.

Cheers and more,
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; July-22-12 at 11:17 AM.