If you so much as show a firearm in the act of committing a crime, you should NEVER be allowed out of jail. Also, I think more citizens [[including store owners/staff) need to carry firearms, and be trained to use them. Right now, criminals are fully aware that unless they happen to hold up a place with a cop, they are likely not going into a fair fight. Holding up a store right now in Detroit, you can be pretty sure you will be the only one with a gun. If lots of criminals start getting creamed by their would-be victims, I think it might give them pause. Other things, like visible indoor and outdoor cameras, bright lighting, large windows making inside easily visible, etc. But most importantly, we need citizens willing to drop a dime on these thugs. Someone you know have a gun and come into some unexplained cash? Unfortunately, I think we have a somewhat crime-tolerant citizenry. I am reminded of Ed Koch's statement when told a mugging victim wanted leniency for his attacker. Said the [[liberal!) mayor: "Mug him again." God Bless Ed Koch.