On the south side of Davison and about one block west of the corner of Davison & Keystone St was the old Caravan bar, 5120 Davison, the wildest hillbilly bar in the city during the 1950's & 60's. When I was 18, a friend took me and some of my buddys in there and it was the first time I ever drank liquor in a bar, something I will never forget. The bar building ran from Davison across to McNichols [[6 Mile) and had a door on both sides. Metro Times talked about it in the December 14, 2011 edition:
Caravan Gardens
Six Mile Road at East Davison Street, Detroit
Whether they played bluegrass, Western swing, honky-tonk or a forward-looking amalgamation of those styles, an astounding number of country musicians found work in Detroit in the early '50s, following the same hillbilly highway that brought so many Appalachians here for work. Caravan Gardens catered to the best of them, including Roy Hall, Skeets McDonald, Eddie Jackson and the York Brothers. Guitarist Joyce Songer worked as a hostess here when she wasn't waxing strikingly original records for Imperial, Coral and Fortune with her husband Earl and their band the Rocky Road Ramblers.